Parking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for ideas to stop people parking on the land beside my house. It's council land but the rest if the estate looks crap because of this. I've been successful up until now but it's happening when I'm not here.

I don't want anything too expensive as they may get nicked. But small trees or bush about 1.7 m apart from tip to bottom. An evergreen that will take dry summers and wet winters.

20240304_105614.jpg

Sponsored Links
Trouble with starting off with small plants and waiting for them to grow is they may get vandalised or run over while you are waiting. What I’ve seen done round our way in similar circumstances is big rocks painted white or even make your own cement sandcastles using builders buckets or smaller and paint them white.

How about mahonia, the spikyness keeps people off it, and the winter/january fragrance is welcome.

Think you need to find the paperwork that relate to your house purchase first - your solicitor should have asked the local authority for a 'plan' of the property including the boundaries. Then check with the Land Registry or your paper deeds for the boundaries and any underground structures.
Worse case go and see your local highways people for their view on the subject.

You may find that you own or have rights to the land up to the path, road side (i.e. Kerb) or even to the centre of the road.

Where we live the road outside half the front was unadopted on initial purchase. According to the county records office we owned to the path edge on the adopted highway and to the Kerb on the (originally) unadopted highway. Like you we became 'fed-up' wiith people parking on our front lawn so we put large rocks on the lawn to stop parking, that stopped the parking until a neighbouring busy-body reported the rocks to the council. First we knew about it was when we had a letter from the county highways telling us that the rocks were on council ground and remove them immediately and restore the grass or face prosecution. That letter was companied by a drawing that looked like it had been drawn by a five year old 'stating' where our boundaries are and what was, in their eyes, council land.

After a number of postal exchanges I went with my copies of deeds and the drawing supplied by the county council to the highways people. As our drawing from the time of purchase had been issued by the county records and was more than 10 years old the highways had difficulty in making us do much more than move the rocks.

Council do like to claim land but expect the locals to maintain such, from your photo's it does look like the land was possibly part of your property environs originally - particularly as you have a window looking onto the ground.

Sponsored Links
Trouble with starting off with small plants and waiting for them to grow is they may get vandalised or run over while you are waiting. What I’ve seen done round our way in similar circumstances is big rocks painted white or even make your own cement sandcastles using builders buckets or smaller and paint them white.

I like this. Could be very creative with this.

Big white painted rocks.

Or what one guy did at my last house that has a dirt road between us, he 1/2 buried large tyres and painted them white.
That way no one from authority can say that they will damage cars that accidentally stray there.

My entire road is lined with large ornamental rocks to prevent curb parking on the grass sections ( which turns them into mud baths in wet weather )
Works well , some use upturned buckets of cement and paint them white .

Other spiky choices:
Pyracantha has bright berries in autumn, your choices of red/orange/yellow.
Sea Buckthorn has a suckering habit and will eventually form a hedge. Mine doesn't seem to mind being sheared like a hedge.
All have the downside that when small, people can just drive over them nonchalantly, and if you want a big one it will cost more initially.

Buy it from the Council and build an extension

Think you need to find the paperwork that relate to your house purchase first - your solicitor should have asked the local authority for a 'plan' of the property including the boundaries. Then check with the Land Registry or your paper deeds for the boundaries and any underground structures.
Worse case go and see your local highways people for their view on the subject.

You may find that you own or have rights to the land up to the path, road side (i.e. Kerb) or even to the centre of the road.

Where we live the road outside half the front was unadopted on initial purchase. According to the county records office we owned to the path edge on the adopted highway and to the Kerb on the (originally) unadopted highway. Like you we became 'fed-up' wiith people parking on our front lawn so we put large rocks on the lawn to stop parking, that stopped the parking until a neighbouring busy-body reported the rocks to the council. First we knew about it was when we had a letter from the county highways telling us that the rocks were on council ground and remove them immediately and restore the grass or face prosecution. That letter was companied by a drawing that looked like it had been drawn by a five year old 'stating' where our boundaries are and what was, in their eyes, council land.

After a number of postal exchanges I went with my copies of deeds and the drawing supplied by the county council to the highways people. As our drawing from the time of purchase had been issued by the county records and was more than 10 years old the highways had difficulty in making us do much more than move the rocks.

Council do like to claim land but expect the locals to maintain such, from your photo's it does look like the land was possibly part of your property environs originally - particularly as you have a window looking onto the ground.
Bod's already tried and failed to do something with that piece of ground. Planting anything may be subject to a jobsworth coming along and telling him 'you can't plant that here...'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back