Parkray coal fire / back boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently in the process of buying a house, and it has come to light that the central heating for the house is controlled via a coal fire in the living room.

After researching online about this, I discovered that some of these systems also control the hot water.... and have found out today, that is the case for this house - the seller has advised "there is a Parkray coal fire with a back boiler. When the fire is lit, it heats up the water for the heating and the hot water The fire does have to be lit for hot water".

Is this an easy "change" (by a professional, not by me!)? And is it an expensive thing to do?

Having to put a fire on to get hot water for a bath (there is currently no shower!) is obviously not ideal! Especially in the height of summer! Also, once the fire is lit - how long would it take to get hot water?

This isn't something I have ever come across before, so what else do I need to be aware of/consider?

Sponsored Links
The parkray usually heat a copper tank in the airing cupboard for hot tap water but theres usually an immersion heater in the tank for when the fires not lit

You would use an immersion heater in summer.

Not a cheap conversion .

Sponsored Links
As above - there must be a boss in the cylinder - the last one I saw without an immersion boss was in our 1950 Council House - when I was a nipper . You had to have an open fire in the living room lit to get hot water, !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back