parque flooring and wood stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a hallway that has parquet flooring. In the hallway there are also some wood stairs (not sure what wood either is)

Im looking to sand both back, currently the stairs are varnished and the wood floor stained.

Ideally id like them both to look similar a light ash, im wondering what product I should use? a wax, a varnish or stain?

Sponsored Links
It really depends on the wood-species of both, if tropical (reddish/brownish) than you're out of luck to try to stain it light Ash - it;ll never work.

Sand down a bit first - this will remove the existing stain and varnish and show you the original wood. Then, with a wet finger, moist the sanded part. This will then show you the colour the wood will have when a natural - clear - finish is applied. If this is dark (red/brown) you're sure to have a tropical wood-species

I think the floor is tropical (may be wrong) the stairs are very light.

Bit unsure what to do here so it looks ok. Im guessing with the 2 different species its not going to be possible to get a colour match? What would you propose the best solution would be?

6jpq7.jpg
[/img]

The floor looks indeed tropical, so best to keep it with a natural finish. The stairs can be finished in the colour you suggested

Sponsored Links
The floor looks indeed tropical, so best to keep it with a natural finish.

What product would you suggest?

The stairs can be finished in the colour you suggested
Would it not look a little strange having 2 different colours? Would it make sense to try and match them?

You'll never get a perfect match, so my suggestion is to make it both different: one dark (of its own, using Tropical Combo and one light

the stairs look pine and the floor cedar

So would i use a clear wax on both and a clear sealer?

On the floor definitely, on the stairs you could apply your light Ash.

Hi,

The problem you will have with getting the colour the same on your parquet and your stairs is that the two wood species will probably be different.
The stairs will be a softer wood like pine and the parquet will probably be oak or maple.

the only way to get the two floors looking similar in colour would be to put a darker stain on the two woods.

If you try and get a lighter stain like ash the stain will show the colour of the wood through the stain and you will definitely get two different shades.

If you go for an oil the colour of the oil is quite weak so it will not hide the fact there are two different woods even if you go for a strong colour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back