Parquet blocks - removing bitumen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Woodyoulike, you seem knowledgeable in this aea. Sorry if you have answered this somewhere else. I have some Mahuhu reclaimed parquet blocks. Should I try to remove the bitumen before i lay them, and if so, how on earth do i remove it? I only have to lay 4sqyards, so its not too many!!

Cheers :D

Sponsored Links
Start using a lot of 'elbow' grease and do remove as much of the stuff as you can.
And next time better post in the correct 'chapter', now you'll have the mods on you ;)

WoodYouLike said:
Start using a lot of 'elbow' grease and do remove as much of the stuff as you can.
And next time better post in the correct 'chapter', now you'll have the mods on you ;)

Sorry not been here before - havent got my head round it all yet!

Sponsored Links
eggdaps said:
I'm not trying to take the p***, but I'm curious to know how someone can look down a list of "How to.." topics, that includes

Floors / Stairs / Lofts / Floor Tiling
All aspects of flooring and stairs discussed here. New stairs, laminate flooring, carpets, floor tiles, loft conversions, loft problems (i.e. inside roof space).

and decide to post a flooring question in General Discussion...

I'm guessing what happen is, they can only see on their screen the General Discussion on the bottom of the page and didn't use the scroll bar not knowing it's half of page(?)

ban-all-sheds said:
eggdaps said:
I'm not trying to take the p***, but I'm curious to know how someone can look down a list of "How to.." topics, that includes

Floors / Stairs / Lofts / Floor Tiling
All aspects of flooring and stairs discussed here. New stairs, laminate flooring, carpets, floor tiles, loft conversions, loft problems (i.e. inside roof space).

and decide to post a flooring question in General Discussion...

Probably because I am actually at work and only get a millisecond on the computer, so dont have time to leisurely scroll down the lists of 'how to' and find the correct one. Please dont be so patronising. Also, it is a general discussion - anything is a general discussion. Bye. xx

eggdaps said:
Probably because I am actually at work and only get a millisecond on the computer, so dont have time to leisurely scroll down the lists of 'how to' and find the correct one.
At a leisurely pace it would have taken you 5 seconds.

Please dont be so patronising.
If you can't spare 5 seconds to ensure you post in the correct forum then you don't have time to come here at all.

If you can't be bothered to spend 5 seconds ensuring you post in the correct forum then you deserve all the criticism you get.

Also, it is a general discussion - anything is a general discussion. Bye. xx

General Discussion
Tired after all that DIY? Discuss or debate topical issues here.

At a leisurely pace it would have taken you 5 seconds.

If you can't spare 5 seconds to ensure you post in the correct forum then you don't have time to come here at all.

If you can't be bothered to spend 5 seconds ensuring you post in the correct forum then you deserve all the criticism you get.

You're a jolly person arent you :D Thanks for the useful/helpful advice. :) No, I dont have time to come on here at all, but if people can take the time to reply to me in a civil manner, politely helping me out, on the probably one and only time i will ever post on here, then that is fantastic. If you are so sad that you find it necessary to be so petty when there are far worse things going on in the world, then you have a problem. Please be reassured, I will NEVER come on here again, so as to leave you in peace in your lovely expert DIY world. :) :D

You're welcome here at any time.

Just don't bluster and lie when you've made a mistake.

I was told you don't need to remove it but have because I wanted to. :LOL:

Frontroom25.jpg

Tried different methods, electric scraper etc. ended up doing them by hand with a chiesel.

Then a once over with a belt sander on top to check any that were badly damaged under the 70 years of grime and wax/varnish.

The one on the floor is a test one i stuck down with the dipping adhesive, I've kicked it hard and it's not about to come back up. :)

Still need to do the sides and grooves...

Frontroom26.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back