Parquet flooring question..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would this be laid with bitumen or contact adhesive?

This is the kind of parquet in question.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?um=1...=194&start=0&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0,i:155

I want to fit new, but if it's laid with bitumen I wont be able to lay flooring over the top because the moisture caused by the bitumen will become trapped and disrupt the floor.... - so will have to pull up the parquet AND the bitumen...

Thanks for any help

Anyway to determine whether it's bitumen or adhesive?

Sponsored Links
Not sure exactly what you mean. You have a room which contains 5 finger mosaic already installed and you want to know if bitumen had been used?

Depends on the era of the installation - safe to say that installed in the 50 up to the 80's it would have been bitumen.

But... it depends on the floor you want to install over it. Even if contact adhesive had/has been used, you should never cover a parquet floor with a floor or underlayment that contains a DPM (many carpet and wooden floor underlayments do)

Many thanks for your input.

Yes, it would have probably been laid in the 70s, so bitumen it probably is. Okay, the parquet will have to be taken up before any other flooring is laid.. – what about the bitumen, - should this be removed also?

Bonus question (!), - is the parquet flooring worth anything?

Cheers

Nope, it's worthless (because who would accept all those loose fingers covered in bitumen?)

Depending on the floor covering planned, you could try to screed over the bitumen - using Ardex NA

Sponsored Links
I see on ebay that 5 finger mosaic does fetch a price... - but it'll be nye-on impossible to get rid of that bitumen off every single finger!

Many thanks again for your help, -it's very much appreciated.

Back