Parquet gaps in thin floor and suitable sander recommendatio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK. So the floor restoraion is progressing and I have sourced some wenge strips for the edges and some reasonably matched oak to replace the odd board beyond repair.

There are a number of areas where the gap between the oak blocks is as as wide as 3+mm. Also most of the boards are pock marked with a myriad of indentations. I'm wondering what I need to use to fill the gaps and/or fill the pock marks.

The thickness of the boards is only abot 1/4". My plan is to eventually darken the floor slightly with a coat of Osmo floor colour then a coat of Osmo Polyx hardwax oil.

In an ideal world I presume I would take the sanding dust, mix it with Lecol and squidge it in. Then sand. HOWEVER, because of the extremely thin state of the boards already I am loathe to give anything but the barest surface sand just to tidy things up a bit and take out some minor surface irregularities before putting the colour and top coat on. It will be good enough.

I don't know whether I will generate enought sawdust to use as filler. It shouldn't be too "dirty" since it looks like someone must have tried to sand the floor years ago, gave up and laid laminate all over it. Apart from dark wax filled pockmarks, the surface is bare wood. In any event I don't think I can afford to do 2 sandings given the thickness of the wood. If I consider that I don't have enough is there an alternative that will stain and take the HWO. I've seen the Bona gap master advertised to do the job as well as the Parkett filler. I also have some bits of solid oak floorboards left over from another room which seem to match the parquet colour. Would it be worth sanding these down to use the dust. Does anyone have any experience of the ready mades or whether something else would do the job.

Finally, any views on using a trio sander to do my light surface tidy up please.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I also have some bits of solid oak floorboards left over from another room which seem to match the parquet colour. Would it be worth sanding these down to use the dust. Does anyone have any experience of the ready mades or whether something else would do the job.

Finally, any views on using a trio sander to do my light surface tidy up please.

Many thanks
Best option for you is indeed using the left over blocks and use the sand dust from that. Side-note: Lecol7500 is no longer being made due to VOC regulations, Bona Kemi Mix & Fill is a fine alternative.

Triosander is very suitable for the last sanding (will also remove the excess wood-filler)

Thanks WoodYouLike.

Lecol 7500 seems to be available online here and there. If I can get it would that or the Bona Kemi be the better option or is it much of a muchness?

Works the same, you can do more with 1 ltr Bona than the Lecol we discovered.
As for the reason Lecol7500 is still available in the UK here and there, read this: Various shades of Green

Sponsored Links
... think I'll go with the Bona!

Just out of interest, I read somewhere (but can't remember where) that one can skim over the whole floor with the filler just to take out any final irregularities. Given the number of pockmarks, this is certainly something I like the sound of. Do you endorse this?

Thanks for your help WoodYouLike.

Yes, that's what we do with new parquet floors too - "plastering" the floor we call it. The excess wood-filler will be removed with the last sanding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back