Best way to apply Blanchon HWO to parquet please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure I'm understanding the Blanchon datasheet for their HWO or the advice on this board properly.

I've decided on Blanchon HWO and in particular want to apply golden oak to old oak parquet which we have finished repairing and sanding.

Do I simply apply two coats of the golden oak? There is no mention anywhere about finishing with a clear coat of anything as with Osmo, Saicos etc or does it need a clear top layer.

Buffing. Do I need a buffing machine? Or do I lay it down and then rub it over with a soft cloth as I go?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can i ask why on earth you want to put a coloured oil on old oak parquet blocks ?? The blocks will colourise beautifully with a clear HWO, you just don't need to use a coloured oil [IMHO] but it's obviously down to personal preference.

There are several ways to put HWO onto a parquet floor, personally i use a short pile gloss roller, approx 5mm pile height.... 9" or 12" long dependant on the size of the room.

I cut in with a 4" foam roller.

The oil i use regularly is Junckers Rustic Oil, so i know this method works very well for me, haven't used Blanchon HWO so i don't know if its a thicker mixture than the Junckers, but remember HWO goes along way so make sure it's applied thinly and evenly.

You can apply one coat of the colour HWO followed by a natural (clear) second coat to tone down the colour a bit (but always apply the colour first).

apply thinly - just like geeonegee says - and divide your floor in small areas. You can apply it with a cloth (lot of work), a t-bar with woolen sleeve or with a sponge (a brush is hard to control in regards of thickness you apply). Treat one small area, then use a cloth - none-fluffy - to spread it out more evenly. Some of our DIY clients wrap a plastic bag and cloth around the 7 kg cast iron buffing block for this. You can go over untreated areas this way. Then proceed to the next small area and do the same.

Let it dry overnight and apply the second coat the same way.

Many thanks to all for your help over what was a difficult project. When we removed the cheap 80s laminate of our new home we discovered a rather badly maintained and damaged parquet floor, only about 3-4mm thick. Getting hold of wenge strips to replace the worst affected areas was the most difficult part but we got there, together with some oak boards which were planed down to the approx thickness.

It was a long slow job which had to be done around my real job. Cutting out the worst damaged boards and replacing together with numerous other repairs. I had to create from scratch a double border around the fireplace which had disappeared altogether.

Eventually a couple of weekends ago I got a trio sander in and tried to give the most minimal sand I could. It seemed to work and I even generated enough sawdust to mix it up with Bona Mix and Fill Plus to fill all the gaps. A very light finishing sand with 120 grit and then I did 2 coats of the Blanchon Golden Oak using a paint pad: I've tried a roller and a brush in other rooms but this worked the best.

The result, for my wife and I, way exceeds what we thought we would get. We're well impressed. And as I say, thanks to everyone who contributed over the last few months.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back