What floor polishing machine for regular maintenance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, it's been a year and the whole ground floor has been restored. Pine boards in some rooms, parquet in the hall. All sanded and renovated/restored and finished with HWO.

Would it be best to clean floors with a barely damp mop using, eg Osmo wash and care or the Blanchon equivalent (Natural soap for oiled floors I think) and then apply a maintenance oil with a buffing machine?

I'm terrified about losing the wear layer, particularly on the parquet and so want to keep these well maintained. How often should a maintenance coat be applied and what would you recommend. The Osmo or Blanchon maintenance oil for example?

And most importantly, how should it be applied? I tried spreading some Osmo oil very thinly by hand but it really needs buffing up .... I think! Is a machine the best way forward and if so what sort of speed/weight should I be looking for. I've four large rooms to keep maintained so was thinking of investing in a machine. I have seen used 11" and 15" Victor Sprites and Europas for sensible prices but really wondered which was best. Is it best to get a slower heavier machine or a faster lighter one or a heavier faster one? I simply have no idea. And what pad for regular maintenance. Any help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
For regular maintenance on oiled floor you don't need to re-oil or use "maintenance oil".
Wax-polish suffices, once every 5 - 6 months (or 4 - 5 months in heavy traffic areas).

As for buffing machines, the standard household electrical ones are not heavy enough and will just scuff over the floor, doing nothing (except using electricity and getting the cable all smeared up with polish/wax). The best thing to use (and eco-friendly too) is the old fashion cast-iron (7 kg) buffing block - or bumper as some of our elderly clients call it, specially when they had been in military service or even the RAF.

2920436.jpg

As for buffing machines, the standard household electrical ones are not heavy enough and will just scuff over the floor, doing nothing (except using electricity and getting the cable all smeared up with polish/wax).

Bit perplexed. The buffing block is 7kg. The Victor Europa 400 for example weighs 33kg and has an operating downforce of 32kg (whatever that is ... I assume something like the effective weight in use) with a speed of 230 to 400rpm. Why is the 7kg hand worked buffer more effective in your opinion.

More effective in comparison to
..the standard household electrical ones are not heavy enough and will just scuff over the floor, doing nothing (except using electricity and getting the cable all smeared up with polish/wax)

Compared in price to your Viper (online prices around £ 800.00), better value for money and works really well in large areas too (according to the care taker of a large village hall who swears by his "bumper").

Sponsored Links
don't worry about wood you like he's just trying to get you to his website to buy something. :oops: Get yourself a polishing [buffer] machine to clean and maintain your floors and they will last years.

Havwoods machinary sell a 13" polisher which would suit your needs

I'm wondering where the (at least) two replies above your one have gone?

Kindly told will2000 it is Ms WoodYouLike.

As for havwoods - as wholesaler, are they selling to the gen public now?

That's what I mean. Wholesalers selling to gen public is very confusing - best left to retailers and the likes

No sorry, not really, Mr will2000

A: proper buffing machines that really do the work, the semi-professional ones, are rather expensive
B: wooden floors only need to be maintained twice a year - and when you do this for a few years the frequency can even be reduced to twice every 1.5 years.
C: rooms can be done one at a time

In commercial areas, where cleaning instead of maintaining needs to be carried out a few times per month - if not every day - I agree with machines, not for 99% of the domestic situations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back