Uneven hardwax oil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having done so well on so many floors I've now messed up and need some urgent help.

I did a great job repairing, sanding and filling my living room floor made of pine square edged boards.

Yesterday (Tuesday) I applied a first layer of Blanchon golden oak HWO and it looked great. Completely even.

Today (Wednesday) I applied a second coat and for some reason I wasn't so succesful in getting rid of my roller start/stop marks on my final row. Stupidly I tried to go over these to even out the marks as the wax was starting to go tacky and feel I have completely botched the job up. In one area it looks like I've removed a bit of the coat - I tried using a cloth to buff it - and in another it looks like a total mess. It's been a couple of hours and I don't know what to do next. Any suggestions please?

Sponsored Links
Two options.
Let it dry overnight to do its curing job a bit longer (although fully curing will take 10 days). Then apply a clear maintenance polish over the floor which could help even things out.

Or - only if you are sure it is never going to good look if you don't remove some of it:
carefully use white-spirit or wax-remover to remove the wax that is now apparently given you a head-ache. Make sure you remove any traces of white spirit/wax-remover when you start to apply a new coat of HardWaxOil.

Thanks for the speedy response, as ever, WYL. If I do remove the offending parts with a bit of white spirit how do I reapply the coloured oil and get it to merge with its surroundings.

I'm also wondering whether to apply a final (third) clear coat as strangely the floor seems to have dried glossy at one end and is drying matt at the other. Glossy end was at the hot sunny end. Any views.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
How large it the total area (not just the area where you are not happy with?)

If possible, go over the whole area with white spirit or wax-remover (you can still do this, the HWO is still curing). This way you prevent any overlapping of the new coat.
After you done this, have a proper look at your floor and if you like the colour it then shows, apply a clear coat of HWO. If you want it a bit darker, apply a new Golden Oak coat.

Can imagine you're feeling gutted after all the hours and labour of love you put into this floor, but nothings lost yet (benefit of applying oil instead of varnish ;))
Buffing over it now will not resolve this, the HWO has had too much time to dry (which is a different "state" than curing)

Other thought: after you use the white spirit/wax-remover and there are still ugly areas, use a mesh disk underneath the buffing machine to very slightly sand it. Not to rough a grit, but also not too fine a grit.

Thanks so much for the time you're taking to help out.

Before I saw you'd replied I was on the phone to my sander hire regarding buffers and at their suggestion phoned Bona. I spoke to technical support and they suggested giving it a go with their scrad system and then redo the second layer. They didn't suggest removing the wax first with white spirit. Sounds a bit like the mesh disk idea without the messy bit first. Any thoughts?

Oh, and my other arf has decided its looking too orange. I was thinking, as I'm going to have to re-apply a coat, to apply a layer of Blanchon walnut as a top coat. She now wants it dark! Do you think it would work?

Oh, and the total floor area is about 25 sq m.

Thanks

Mesh disk could work on its own (and if not, then it's back to the messy bit ;- without any real harm done).

As for applying a darker HWO after it has been "sanded" (with the mesh disk), I would try this out in a small left over piece first (if you have).
Imagine she will not like it after all!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back