Osmo Hardwax oil not drying, uneven.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What to do....

100 year-old oak floor, sanded. Osmo Hardwax oil applied ten days ago but still very slightly tacky in places. The room is warm, well ventilated.
The chap used a roller to put it on, didn't buff it, went and left it. I didn't stand over him, but I have the impression he put a lot on. He certainly didn't 'scrub it in' as the Osmo instructions say.

In addition to the slight tack, in some parts it has a decent gloss, in other parts it's dull and has raised the grain.

He wants to sand it lightly, then apply another coat. He says
'A second coat is necessary to cure the drying problem as it will seal the floor evenly. We will lightly sand & re-coat tomorrow. We have applied Osmo Hardwax oil & it sometimes takes a second coat to cure drying problem'.

I have no experience with this product, and the chap seems very competent - his French polishing is excellent - but it seems wrong to me to apply another coat when the first coat hasn't dried.

What to do please...

Ivor

Sponsored Links
'A second coat is necessary to cure the drying problem as it will seal the floor evenly. We will lightly sand & re-coat tomorrow. We have applied Osmo Hardwax oil & it sometimes takes a second coat to cure drying problem'.
HardWaxOil ALWAYS needs a second coat, applied within 36 - 48 hours after the first coat. If applied later, it does need a light sanding.

HardWaxOil ALWAYS needs a second coat, applied within 36 - 48 hours after the first coat. If applied later, it does need a light sanding.

WHY?

Sponsored Links
Why?
Meaning why it needs a light sanding if you wait too long or why it needs two coats?

If you wait too long between two coats the "grain" - softer bits in the wood - can stand up, creating a rough surface which obstructs the absorbing of the next coat, giving you both a rough surface and a patchy result.

Why two coats? To make sure both the oil and the wax in the product are absorbed evenly over the whole floor. Some areas - due to their grain/way the wood is cut - absorb more or less oil the first time round.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back