How to get best results with Osmo hardwax oil?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After laying my reclaimed oak strip flooring, Im now ready to sand and apply Osmo hardwax oil (satin finish). The plan will be:
1) Use a Trio sander and edge sander, working through the grits finishing with 120.

2)hoover floor thoroughly, then rag soaked in white spirit to mop up remaining dust.

3) apply 2 coats of the Osmo, each very thinly using a brush, allowing 8-12 hours between each coat.

My question is re whether I must buff the floor at any point- either after the first or second coat?

I dont have a buffer and dont really want the expense of hiring one unless I need to in order to get the right result. Can anyone advise re this or anything else that Ive not considered? Thanks alot

Sponsored Links
I would not soak a rag in white spirit to try to clean up the remaining dust. This might discolour the wood and besides, you'll never git rid of all the dust. Proper vacuum cleaning and then going over it with a soft broom should do the trick.

Stir (or shake) the tin of hardwaxoil thoroughly before you begin. Apply a few sq m, then spread the hwo out with a none fluffy cloth to spread out the excess hwo. If you have a buffing machine, use a medium course pad for this.

don't be alarmed when after the first coat (and sometimes after the second coat too) patches appear, that's quite normal. Some areas of the wood will absorb the oil more than others. Again a buffing machine would come handy here, with a white pad to go over the whole floor just before it is really dry. (say after 4 hours)

thanks as always Wood You Like.

In the absence of a buffer what would be the best materila to use to try and rub down the floor by hand? I cant thnk of anything and I presumeit wouldn't work to use some kind of buffing sheets on the Trio (too dusty from the sanding Im guessing)

Having sanded down a bit of wood and applied some Osmo I note it will trap any small bits so I guess it will need some kind of surface finishing in any event, especially if you want to increase the gloss finish a bit?

Thanks

A non fluffy cloth by hand (or wrapped around a 7 kg cast iron buffing block - you can use afterwards for maintenance) will work to. Make sure you rub over the whole area.

After finishing iwht Osmo HWO (2 coats) a shinier look will automagically appear over time when you bestow regular maintenance to it, like a wax polish.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back