Osmo Hardwax oil, third coat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following the excellent advice of WoodULike et al I sanded down my oak floor and applied two coats of hardwax oil. Following the adage that thinner is better I have some (more than I should) left. The floor is 36 square metres and I expected to use a tin and a bit to complete it. Having just finished the second coat I have about a quarter of the first tin left, should I apply a third coat?

Cheers Nic

Sponsored Links
Not really recommended, only if the wood has such an open structure (not Oak, but if you were finishing pine etc) it 'soaks' up the oil in the HWO more than normal

It could be that you applied it rather thin, but applying a third coat won't help. If you notice dull patches it's better to apply a maintenance product, like hardwax or wax-polish than to apply a third coat of hardwaxoil. But give the second coat of hardwaxoil sufficient time to dry, don't apply anything within 12 hours.

Cheers WoodYouLike, I will go and clean the brush then.

I could not see any real patchiness after the first coat and will check it out once this one has dried. I think I applied it pretty evenly just very thinly, it's a matt finish and the wood was consistently darkened.

Thank you

Nic

Sponsored Links
You're welcome.

Remember to apply a maintenance product roughly one month after applying the HOW and then every 5 - 6 months to keep the floor healthy, beautiful and protected against dirt and drips.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back