Finish for oak internal sills - Hard Wax Oil or Linseed oil?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
Can I have some help please, we are getting oak internal window sills installed with wood sash windows.

I could do with some help making the right decision on the finish. Which would be the most robust and least in need of maintenance? Hard Wax oil like OSMO polyx in matt or a deproteined Linseed Oil like from Holkham?

I have coated the underside of the sills with exterior Osmo hardwaxoil as it has a biocide in it against any future damp. I won't be using biocide loaded products on the open side as I have a child.

I have used both HWO and Linseed oil on off cuts and like the look of buffed OSMO HWO than Linseed. But is HWO a better choice?

As always, Thank You for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Rather not hide beautiful wood under varnish. I was hoping for a hardwax or oiling solution?

Sponsored Links
I did one of mine with high gloss marine varnish as I wanted something tenacious that the sun won't affect. Wouldn't say it hides the oak at all.

If I was doing it again I'd have fitted oak finish pvc.

Also wooden windows? Why? Nothing but maintenance for ever more.

The house is in a nice-ish conservation area. We thought it wise to refit in wood as it might be a resale point, will not stand out and general consensus in this forum (which I have learnt to trust a lot) is that there are, on balance, many advantages to wood.....and it looks dead naaaaiice :mrgreen:

I was under the impression that oils including Liberon and OSMO wouldn't discolour in the sun??

Have you ever seen quality made pvc oak effect windows?
Nothing like it and a wipe clean every few years is all it needs.

Also no tree felling needed to make pvc! Hows that for conservation?
But each to their own.

I wouldn't take the gift of wooden windows.

This is one of the top companies here in the province with a reputation second to none...
http://www.mcmullanodonnell.com/peace-of-mind.html
This company also uses hydro electric to generate the electric for their extensive manufacturing facility.

If you report a fault or smallest defect to these guys even after 10 or 15 years they will come out and replace the entire unit foc. No questions asked.
Your wooden windows by then if not treated and maintained will have started to rot!

When I've the shekels saved up for pvc all my stick windows will be firewood.

I was under the impression that oils including Liberon and OSMO wouldn't discolour in the sun??
Those oils won't, although the wood itself might fade. Neither oils, wax nor yacht varnish will stop that.

Thank you, both.

I am fairly sure that I read somewhere about another oil or potion that is used under the OSMO which prevents or ******* the bleaching effect.

Not that bleaching is a huge problem, it would look natural and I could always scrub back and lay on a coat of coloured HWO at a later time to balance the fade.

Hard Wax Oil it is, people. Thank you all again for your info.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back