Part M for altering a ground floor WC?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks,

Am I right in thinking that if I currently have a ground floor WC that isn't Part M compliant, then I am OK move the contents of the room around without needing to 'upgrade' it to be Part M compliant? Currently it is a very inefficient use of space, I want to move the toilet to the other side of the room and fit a smaller sink to allow some storage to be built where the toilet used to be.

Does alteration to an existing bathroom require Building Control signoff?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I have no idea! How do they know about any internal alterations?!

Presumably only a particularly vigilant future conveyancing solicitor who compares the previous sale floor plans to the new floor plans!

Just don't make it any less compliant than before. Part m only applies to conversions to domestic or new builds.

Sponsored Links
Just don't make it any less compliant than before. Part m only applies to conversions to domestic or new builds.

Shouldn't be, it's going from this:
before.PNG

To This:

after.PNG

So I'm not changing the width of the access, or the size of the 'turning circle' in the WC (which I don't think is Part M compliant in any case due to the radiator).

You can do what you like. You have no obligation to comply with Part M. To quote the man:

The recommendations of this volume of this approved document apply to newly erected dwellings, and dwellings undergoing material alteration, only. They do not apply to the extension of a dwelling.

'material alteration' in this context amounts to "don't make it worse" - although in practice people often 'make it worse' without any fuss - for instance, removing an entrance level WC.

Last edited:
What I would suggest is putting the basin where the rad is - now't worse than sitting on 'bog burning your left knee;)

how big is that radiator? it only really needs a very small one if at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back