Part P again - is this still the same ring main?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently renovating a house and want to add more sockets. There is an existing ring main in the upstairs but it only seems to cover the landing and one of the bedrooms. Its covered by a 32A fuse

I'd like to extend this to take in the other rooms (bathroom excluded). Looking through the part p document it says that extending or adding sockets is not notifable work. If I do the work I want then the only wiring of the existing main will be the legs going off to the CU. Does this still count as the same ring main?

Sponsored Links
Technically yes, it is still the same ring main. Remember to keep all cables in the safe zones, remember to sleeve all the bare earth conductors with green+yellow sleeving and keep the cable size consistant throughout.

Davy

Does beg the question, what existing service is in the bedrooms and what cct / ring is that fed to / from.

Since the ring you intend to adapt will only have the tails left, I'd suggest adapting the old ring colours with heat shrink and making the whole ring up to current colour wiring spec.

Thanks for the advice, it was suddenly at the weekend I questioned how much I could replace before it became a new circuit. It seems to me that extending the ring is going to be a better way of doing things than just adding loads of spurs from it. I'm not sure hwy they took a ring upstairs and then only cabled one room but thats the way it was done. I've traced back to the CU and there's nothing else on the circuit.

My understanding is that the cabling should be OK, existing ring is 2.5mm T+E, I'm extending with the same. Safe zones should be no problem as all wiring is being done under the floor boards (clipped along joists and passing through drilled in allowed places) and coming up vertically behind skirting boards. New colours is a good idea, always going to be safer with like colours meeting in the back of the sockets.

The wiring seems the easy bit compared with sinking all the back boxes into victorian brick :(

Sponsored Links
Bobby,

I would be interested to see the document you are quoting from - have you got a link please?

Thanks

Thats the document I was quoting from. Table 1 mentions "adding socket-oulets and fused spurs to existing ring or radial circuits". My understanding is thats all I'm doing, even though I'm extending the coverage of the ring the actual circuit is the same one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back