New upstairs ringmain and part p

BAS you ask the same question over and over again !!
It's an important question.

If the OP thinks that he can do the work and after the event get an electrician to do something he calls a "Part P test", and that will then mean that he's complied with the Building Regulations then it is better that he finds out now that it doesn't work like that, rather than when it's too late.

So what BAS (I think ) is doing is simply to question the OP or anyone else that mentions a "part P test"- since in purity, there's no such thing :LOL:
Yes, but with the best of intentions.

It's no skin off my nose if the OP doesn't plan to notify, or care about having a completion certificate, but if he does, then he needs to know how it works, and from what he wrote I didn't think he did.

Sponsored Links
I didn't realise I needed to notify the BCO for such simple changes :confused:
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part-p

And it isn't a simple change - it's a complete new circuit.

As for installing a new CU, that's a major job.

• Do you know what are the 3 different types of domestic single-phase supplies provided in this country, how would you recognise them, and what differences do each make to the requirements for the rest of the installation, particularly any outdoor supplies?
  • How do you propose to isolate your supply so that you can connect up your new CU?
  • How will you deal with any cables which need extending because of the CU move?
  • For a circuit to supply a <thing> (doesn't matter what), how would you go about deciding what cable and protective device to use?
  • Do you understand how the way in which cables are installed affects how much current they can carry?
  • Do you know what the rules are concerning cables concealed in walls, partitions and under floors?
  • Do you know the requirements for main and supplementary bonding of extraneous conductive parts?
  • Do you know which circuits must be RCD protected?
  • Do you know what tests should be carried out, what sequence you'd do them in and at what point you would energise the installation? Do you know what each test measures, why it is important, how and with what equipment it's carried out, and what sort of results you would expect to get if everything was OK.
There's no reason why you can't learn everything you need to know, buy or hire the test equipment and learn how to use it, and do the work yourself, but it'll take a while...

And it isn't a simple change - it's a complete new circuit.

As for installing a new CU, that's a major job.

• Do you know what are the 3 different types of domestic single-phase supplies provided in this country, how would you recognise them, and what differences do each make to the requirements for the rest of the installation, particularly any outdoor supplies?
  • How do you propose to isolate your supply so that you can connect up your new CU?
  • How will you deal with any cables which need extending because of the CU move?
  • For a circuit to supply a <thing> (doesn't matter what), how would you go about deciding what cable and protective device to use?
  • Do you understand how the way in which cables are installed affects how much current they can carry?
  • Do you know what the rules are concerning cables concealed in walls, partitions and under floors?
  • Do you know the requirements for main and supplementary bonding of extraneous conductive parts?
  • Do you know which circuits must be RCD protected?
  • Do you know what tests should be carried out, what sequence you'd do them in and at what point you would energise the installation? Do you know what each test measures, why it is important, how and with what equipment it's carried out, and what sort of results you would expect to get if everything was OK.
There's no reason why you can't learn everything you need to know, buy or hire the test equipment and learn how to use it, and do the work yourself, but it'll take a while...

I like this list, thanks BAS. Helps me remember alot!! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back