New upstairs ringmain and part p

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently renovating upstairs rooms in my house and making changes to the upstairs sockets (moving some, adding new ones). I'm running new cabling and any existing socket is being removed from the existing ring main and wired with new cable - as soon as it has new cable it has no electrical connection.

When I've finished the new ring main will need wiring into the CU and a part p test carried out. For an electrician carrying out the connection and part p test, what is the best way to leave the new sockets? Each socket connected, faceplate wired and attached? My uncertainty is whether the electrician needs access to the wiring for inspection, or if tests are done via the faceplate?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You will be lucky! Any electrician worth his salt will not sign off on work he hasn't done. He will not only be breaking the law but putting his reputation on the line. He would need to see all the cable run.

That's ok, I won't screw down the floorboards needed for viewing the cable run so the electrician can see the whole lot.

Although, how does an electrician certify a house without an existing part p for the electrics? Do they don't have to expose every cable?

In that case they would do a PIR(periodic inspection report) He would only be responible for the readings from his test equipment and a visual inspection and would sign the certs as such. In your case he would be signing to say all the circuits were designed, installed and tested by himself.

Sponsored Links
Although, how does an electrician certify a house without an existing part p for the electrics? Do they don't have to expose every cable?

He wouldn't be interested in anything existing, just the additions & alterations.

When I've finished the new ring main will need wiring into the CU and a part p test carried out.
What is a "Part P test"??

When you applied for Building Regulations approval for this work, what did you say would be the way you would comply with Part P?

You will be lucky! Any electrician worth his salt will not sign off on work he hasn't done. He will not only be breaking the law but putting his reputation on the line. He would need to see all the cable run.

Is a anyone not allowed to do their own electrical work and then get the BCO in to sign it off as complying with part P?

If so, would he be best to notify the BCO that he's done the work and request they come and test it?

In fairness, I've called the BCO before for similar chats and without giving my name, adddress etc, they've given very good free advice on the routes that I could go down.

If so, would he be best to notify the BCO that he's done the work and request they come and test it?

In fairness, I've called the BCO before for similar chats and without giving my name, adddress etc, they've given very good free advice on the routes that I could go down.

You have to notify BC before you start the work, unless it's an emergency.

You have to notify BC before you start the work, unless it's an emergency.

So, if he wants to do the work himself, his best and possibly only route is to notify the BCO that he intends to do it and then pay the fee and get them to test and approve his work?

When I've finished the new ring main will need wiring into the CU and a part p test carried out.
What is a "Part P test"??

When you applied for Building Regulations approval for this work, what did you say would be the way you would comply with Part P?

BAS you ask the same question over and over again !!

As far as I can tell

The Part P requirement is that “Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury.”

IE it MUST be safe!

Or am I wrong?

Part P is a compliance medium, it's not a test.

Work done that is Part P notifiable (and even non notifiable work) needs to be electrically tested and certifcated to BS7671:2008 17th ed.

So what BAS (I think ) is doing is simply to question the OP or anyone else that mentions a "part P test"- since in purity, there's no such thing :LOL:

Work done that is Part P notifiable (and even non notifiable work) needs to be electrically tested and certifcated to BS7671:2008 17th ed.

now I don't want to start another long winded argument here, but that's not entirely true is it?

Part P mentions no such thing, and ony references BS7671 for definitions of special locations.
As BS7676:2008 and it's predecessors are not mandatory then testing to them is not a legal requirement..
it is however a means to an end in showing that your installation is safe.

So far I've run cable for one room, adding double sockets either side of the bed. I could have run a spur off each of the existing sockets for this, but thought it better to include them in the ring main while I was at it. I didn't realise I needed to notify the BCO for such simple changes :confused:

This query is just a small part of what I need to get done, so I'll start another thread with more detail so I can get advice on the best way to go. In short I need the supply moved, new CU and it makes sense to rewire while the floorboards are accessible (redone heating recently).

supply moved is a DNO job, new CU is part P notifiable..
sockets aren't notifiable but connection of a new circuit to the CU is.. which is what I read you OP as..

So, if he wants to do the work himself, his best and possibly only route is to notify the BCO that he intends to do it and then pay the fee and get them to test and approve his work?
If he wants to DIY, and wants to stay within the law and wants to end up with a completion certificate then yes, he has to apply for approval in advance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back