Part P Competent Person Assessment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am renovating our barn and want to do the electrics myself. I have previously rewired houses before Part P came into effect. I am thinking of doing a 5 or 6 day course and registering with one of the professional bodies so that I can certify the work myself.

That is all fine apart from the fact that I would need to be inspected and assessed - and because I am not an electrician I don't have anything to be assessed. I could put an outside socket in or do something else.

What sort of work do they need to see - this must also apply to startup companies....

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Just apply to your local LABC.

You will have to pay them a fee, and they will inspect your work at 1st fix and 2nd fix stages, and sign it off as compliant at the end of the job (assuming it is)

There is no point getting registered as a DI for a one off job.

Thanks and I may end up doing that but the fact that I would be able to do all electrical work in my home (legally) and others that we rent out etc would probably save money in the end - and I also fancy the challenge!

Sponsored Links
lets see...

£200-£300 to notify the LABC..
-- VS --
£400-£500 ANUALY to register part P ( plus at least one yearly assesment of work when they feel like it )
+£600-£800 for test equipment ( plus £30-£100 to calibrate it every year )
+£whatever the course costs

Dont know if this helps - ive done all my electrics on a self build under bld control (Im not a spark but was 3 years into city and guilds way back in the sixties, and surprisingly a lot comes back) Bld control at my council uses their own part P company and they inspected my first and second fix then issue a meter comnnection cert if all is done correctly. BUT - you should also be competent to test your own work and your results should match their final test,So you must then have a meter and know what your doing with it. If you get someone else to test it before bld control then your involving a third party as I understand it which is against the law. Perhaps the Part P guys here could shed light on this. Mine all passed with no probs so Im chuffed to bits not for the saving (probably cost more in the long run as your slower) but more for the sense of achievment.

that doesn't sound right.
if they are testing it then they are rsponsible for it and therefore you don't have to test anything yourself..
most people would check that they had continuity once everything was connected even if it's only for peace of mind that you didn't forget a socket behind some drywall etc..

Yes Coljack thats what I thought - If their test is a pass or fail its still their results that count so why did I need to also test and fill in test sheet. Any way it all worked out in the end. Perhaps its just a requirement of that company.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back