Part P - powers of competent persons

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is excellent advice in this forum - would be greatful for any comments on the following.

I am retired from the IT industry, having gained a degree in electrical engineering in 1970. I've done simple DIY electrics at home over the years but have no trade qualifications or experience. I'm wondering whether to do a bit of study to address this, as an interest but also possibly to earn a small amount of money doing some domestic work. I've looked at the recent thread 'qualifications' in this forum and at various websites which attempt to explain the myriad of qualifications, bureaucracy and Part P rules :(

It seems that one can go on a domestic installers course (£1000 perhaps) then register with one of the bodies (several hundred pounds pa) and become a Part P person, able to self-certify. What is not clear is whether such a person can certify the work of others, for a fee. Some sources say not - the only case allowed is when Building Control is asked to do it because the installer is not Part-P registered. In that case BC would normally contract the certification to an outside electrician. However, local BC here told me that a P person CAN certify another person's work directly, and further that a P person could ask to go on BC's panel of people they call upon to do certifications ! I think that might be wrong. Any advice ?

Clearly it makes no sense to pay all that money just to self-certify some Part P job at home every few years. If that is not a sensible route, perhaps a better thing to do is 3281 (16th ed) and 2391 (inspection) or other possiblilities posted on the above thread might be more sensible. What is becoming clear is that the idea of being a part-time doer of electrical jobs for pay is not really feasible - the overhead costs of training, registration, insurance etc are too high. Also, I entirely agree with comments elsewhere on this site that a 5-day 'electrician' is a danger to everyone in all but very simple situations.

Any general or specific advice would be greatly appeciated.

Sponsored Links
gowe

United Kingdom

:eek: :eek: :eek:

gowe said:
It seems that one can go on a domestic installers course (£1000 perhaps) then register with one of the bodies (several hundred pounds pa) and become a Part P person, able to self-certify. What is not clear is whether such a person can certify the work of others, for a fee.
Nobody can certify another person's work as compliant with the Building Regulations.....

Some sources say not - the only case allowed is when Building Control is asked to do it because the installer is not Part-P registered.
....apart from LABC and approved independent Building Inspectors.

In that case BC would normally contract the certification to an outside electrician.
They will contract the electrical certification, i.e. inspection & testing and issuing of an I&T EIC.

However, local BC here told me that a P person CAN certify another person's work directly,
Not for Building Regulations compliance, and as for issuing EICs, anybody can do that if they believe themselves to be competent - no qualifications or membership of any organisation is required.

and further that a P person could ask to go on BC's panel of people they call upon to do certifications ! I think that might be wrong.
It's entirely up to each LABC who they choose to subcontract work to, and if yours has decided that their criteria is membership of one of the self-certification schemes then if you are registered you can go on their list.

Any advice ?
1) Check carefully with them if registration is all that's required, or if they want particular qualifications as well.
2) Think very carefully about whether you would feel competent to do work like this.
3) Professional Indemnity Insurance is a must, even if the council don't demand it - check that you'd be able to get it, and what it would cost.

Clearly it makes no sense to pay all that money just to self-certify some Part P job at home every few years. If that is not a sensible route, perhaps a better thing to do is 3281 (16th ed) and 2391 (inspection) or other possiblilities posted on the above thread might be more sensible.
You've still got the costs of scheme membership to consider.

What is becoming clear is that the idea of being a part-time doer of electrical jobs for pay is not really feasible - the overhead costs of training, registration, insurance etc are too high.
That's the whole point.

BTW - don't forget the several hundred pounds-worth of test equipment you'll need.

Also, I entirely agree with comments elsewhere on this site that a 5-day 'electrician' is a danger to everyone in all but very simple situations.
What do you think 2381 + 2391 would make you, though?

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for advice. Perhaps I'll just stick to painting and decorating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back