Partial draining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To drain the CH/HW system I get the ideas (stop water, open drain valve, open upstairs bleed valve etc...). If I wanted to drain it partially e.g. to about a foot above the pump (I have a hole in a section of pipe about 2 feet above the pump, so plan to replace that piece of pipe), does anyone have any tips for 'knowing' when the system is sufficiently drained? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You could try tapping the pipe with a spanner but be prepared for a shower if you get it wrong............ :LOL:

Thanks for your reply. I'm not a plumber myself, but I once helped a plumber at my parents house many years ago and he just seemd to 'know' when the water had gone down below the point of interest.

What if I were to drain it down to the pump? I could open the pump bleed valve, catch the water that comes out and stop draining when no more water leaves the pump valve. Would that work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back