Partial system draining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm just starting on a major renovation, beginning with the bathroom. I've been reading this forum for a couple of months and have discovered a wealth of useful information and answers to nearly all my questions without having to ask them!

I do however have a couple of questions to start with. I recently had my boiler replaced with a combi. I need to tidy up the pipework under the upstairs floorboards so I'm wondering if it's feasible to shut off all the radiator valves upstairs except one before I drain the upstairs level, to save water and inhibitor.

Secondly, there is a capped-off 22mm pipe under the upstairs floor that I assume was the vent pipe for the original boiler and so will now be redundant. Is it OK to cap this off nearer the boiler to save heating up several metres of water unnecessarily?

Oh, and when I drain upstairs, is there an easy way to tell when the water level is below the pipes so that I can stop draining and cut them?

Many thanks
Alan

Sponsored Links
wondering if it's feasible to shut off all the radiator valves upstairs except one before I drain the upstairs level, to save water and inhibitor.
You would potentially at best saving a few quid.If you make a mistake,a TRV passes etc etc. Could be ceilings down expensive disaster. DO not see the point..at all

Oh, and when I drain upstairs, is there an easy way to tell when the water level is below the pipes so that I can stop draining and cut them?
Slacken a compression joint...etc...If you do not mind me saying....You sound v inexperienced..I appreciate we all need to learn..and diy is lots cheaper than employing people...BUT.. plumbing aint rocket science but a little bit of water can make a hell of a mess.

Sponsored Links
If you make a mistake,a TRV passes etc etc. Could be ceilings down expensive disaster.

This is why I said I was wondering if it was feasible. Clearly it isn't. I know all about the risks - I had a living room ceiling fall in years ago because of a leak.

Make damn sure before you cut it...Surprised your installer would leave redundant lengths of copper!!!

To remove it they would have had to move all the furniture, and take up the fitted carpet and floorboards. I doubt if it would have been worth the trouble.

Alan

This is why I said I was wondering if it was feasible. Clearly it isn't. I know all about the risks - I had a living room ceiling fall in years ago because of a leak.

To remove it they would have had to move all the furniture, and take up the fitted carpet and floorboards. I doubt if it would have been worth the trouble.

Alan
Seems weird route for a vent...They would have had boards up to take your old vented system out..Plumbers go to allsorts of lengths to strip out old copper

My old vent was like that when I had a vented system. Boiler was in the middle of the kitchen with it’s own chimney - one of those that used the air in the room - we had to have the kitchen vent open at all times. Bloody freezing in there it was! Went all round the place. Through the kitchen ceiling, across the upstairs landing into a bedroom then up into the loft behind some boxing in. Would have been a days work plus some redecorating to remove it so it was just left in place.

Last edited:
Seems weird route for a vent...They would have had boards up to take your old vented system out..Plumbers go to allsorts of lengths to strip out old copper

The combi was more or less a drop-in replacement for the old boiler. The only work they needed to do on the existing piping was to remove the cylinder, cut the pipes to the loft, and add a bypass loop across the pipes that would have heated the cylinder. Unfortunately they left this bypass above floor level because the frame of the airing cupboard prevented them from raising the necessary floorboard, which is why I need to tidy it now by reconnecting it below the floor as I've taken the airing cupboard out.

Alan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back