Partial Trench Block Vs. Trench Fill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Starting digging our single story extension on Monday and that means ordering concrete. I need to dig down 1m deep, and to tie in with the current house I figured I'd finish concrete 1 brick below ground. Which means I'll have 3 bricks in total up to DPC (1 below ground, 2 above).

But my digger driver said it might be worth using trench blocks to save a little on concrete.

I worked it out as D: 450mm * W: 600mm * L: 18m, which works out to 3 cubic metres, or 432 GBP.

Alternatively I can lay 41 of these Toplite Aerated blocks of L: 440 * W: 300 * H: 215, which would cost me 180 GBP.

That's a saving of nearly 252 GBP, which might be worth the extra work. I might even consider two rows of these blocks to save a little more, but won't go further to save my back.

Is there any reason not to use these? I assume Building Control would be equally happy with me filling my trench with:
  • 925mm of concrete + 65mm brick & 10mm mortar joint to make up the 1m to ground level, or
  • 710mm of concrete + 215 trench block & 10mm mortar joint + 65mm brick & 10mm mortar joint
  • 485mm of concrete + 2 * (215 trench block & 10mm mortar joint) + 65mm brick & 10mm mortar joint

Sponsored Links
I used the minimum concrete and built up with blocks. The equation is obviously different when your DIYing, especially in summer. You may also get away with backfilling with some of what you've dug out to save the cost of removal. But beware any minimum quantity/charge on your concrete delivery.

Do you not need 450mm below ground level for frost cover?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back