Block paving edging against gravel trench

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have found a few damp patches on our external wall this winter and think the drive being built too high is causing this. I have taken up the soldier course of pavers next to the house and dug a trench to take a look. I can see that the drive was only a couple of cm below the DPC, and have also uncovered a couple of fully covered airbricks, so definitely too high.

My plan is to continue to excavate the trench and then backfill with gravel to a level below the DPC to stop the drive from bridging the DPC. The driveway will have cars on so I will this will need to be relatively strong. I would also like the edge itself to be higher than the trench so it is visible and someone doesn't accidentally twist an ankle walking into it!

Looking online I can see a few different options but am unsure which to go with. Perhaps I need some kind of kerb unit which is deeper than the trench so would finish above the level of the trench itself? Keen for as simple a solution as possible as I have no experience in laying driveways, working with concrete etc.

While doing this I have also found a big gap in the brickwork which was previously below ground and causing another damp patch. This is picture 3.

Guess I have 2 questions overall:

1. How do I make sure the block paving doesn't slip back into the trench?
  2. What's the best fix for the hole I found in picture 3? I am thinking the brick will need knocking out and a new brick laying in it's place?
Thanks- any help is much appreciated

IMG_0410.jpeg
F1B77B04-9874-462F-9B07-69CC89854106.jpeg
IMG_0409.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Concrete edgings laid on and haunched with concrete. Use a bit of concrete to fill that hole. Pointing looks rough.

French drain along the side of the house - and move the pipe away from the vent. Unblock the airbrick.

Concrete edgings laid on and haunched with concrete. Use a bit of concrete to fill that hole. Pointing looks rough.
Cheers cdbe.

If I use concrete edgings would you recommend I lay a concrete base in the bottom of the 200mm wide trench I have already dug and sit these in it (taking care to leave some soil for water to drain to). Or would I be best taking out another row of pavers and laying the concrete edging at a similar height to the existing drive with the haunching behind it?.

Sponsored Links
150mm wide drain will be fine, obviously the haunching will reduce the width at the bottom but there won't be much water to drain away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back