Partially Knocking Through Wall To Make Built-In Wardrobe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of buying a house (typical new-build type with plasterboard walls) where the 2nd bedroom is quite sizeable but the third is very small. My idea is that I could knock through maybe 1.5m of the wall between the two to "borrow" space from the 2nd bedroom to construct a built-in wardrobe for the use of my son who will get the 3rd bedroom.
I am thinking that this should be fairly straight-forward but I am wondering if anybody could point out any difficulties that an amateur like myself may not have considered?
I can see that there is an electrical plug there which will need to be re-routed, plus maybe some plumbing (there is a radiator further along that wall), but I am thinking that once I remove the plasterboard I should just find a typical timber frame inside, which will probably require me to remove a single vertical beam to create a sufficient opening.
Anybody got any advice?
I have seen plenty of online videos of people making built-in wardrobes, but none of them involve knocking through to steal the space from an adjacent bedroom, so it would be useful if anyone knew of such a video?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
The socket would be fed from below the floor so simple to remove .Radiator again would be fed from under floor so should not affect removal of wall unless it's actually at the point you want to remove the wall. May be metal stud work instead of timber.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back