Built in wardrobe problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just pulled down some built in wardrobes I had built a few years ago. They were built across a chimney breast across the entire wall, upstairs, on the pine end of my 1920's house. There is no wall cavity and the chimney has been closed off. After around a year, clothes started growing mould and the bedroom stank of damp. On closer inspection, I could see that the alcove areas at each side of the chimney were black with damp. Someone recommended that I dry line the pine end wall with green board (it has been dry lined once though) before re-installing the cupboards. I don't want to risk putting them back up in case it happens again even with the green board. Can anyone offer any advice on this please? Should I have put some sort of vent in the cupboard wall to let in air circulate maybe?

Sponsored Links
Chimney breast should have a vent if it's not in use and also be capped to prevent rain entering and causing damp in your cup'd.You need to check the roof for damaged flashing etc as the cup'd may be hiding a minor leak.
Any new cup'd should be ventilated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back