Party wall - like for like replacement of coping stones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I feel like this should be a straightforward question, but I can't seem to find a straightforward answer (maybe I'm overthinking this!).

I'm in a Victorian terrace, and have had an issue with a small leak on one side of the chimney stack in the back bedroom. Over the past week or so I have also noticed there is some damp on the party wall in the same room. The roofer is suggesting some like for like (as far as I understand) replacements on my side: remove and replace the damp rafter that is against the party wall, redo (properly) the leadwork and back gutter, re-render the chimney stack and part of wall and replace the coping stones along with a damp proof membrane/cement from the apex down to the back of the house.

So my question is - does replacing coping stones along with a non-injected DPC require a party wall agreement? It seems like something that must get done a lot, but party wall agreements seem like they're meant for significant structural work and the like. These seem like pretty routine roof repairs. I know people who have done similar without any kind of agreement, perhaps not even realising that they needed to think about it.

I would like to do this by the book, and to honest I've procrastinated long enough about the work that I'm prepared to just pay myself without asking the neighbour to split the cost of the coping stones. However, I don't know the neighbour all that well (there's nothing bad there, it's just they keep themselves to themselves). The only other joint thing that's come up was to do with a shared water supply and installing a meter - I understand they didn't respond to anything the water company sent them, so that's made me a bit nervous that they might do the same here.

Best case is they just say yes and sign. Worst case is they don't respond to a letter and I inadvertently get myself into a costly dispute just by trying to do the right thing. Or, I just speak to them and say I'm planning to do it and see what they think.

Ideas/thoughts welcome!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back