Party Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello ,

A few years ago my next door neighbor knocked down their garage which was adjoing mine.
Leaving mine unsupported , eventually it all got resolved they had to build 2 piers to support my wall. Is that wall still a party wall ? How do i get to waterproof that wall as the outside of that wall is facing their garden. If its still a party wall does my neighbor have to go halfs and pay for the upkeep of that wall as the inside of my garage wall is wet as its a single wall. When there garage was connected to mine the wall was dry.

Thanks..

Sponsored Links
It's your wall. You have to pay for its upkeep. You have the right to maintain it however and your neighbour should allow you access to their land if that's deemed necessary for maintenance. In England, this is your right, but it's not very neighbourly to exercise it unilaterally.

It depends where the property boundary is as to whether this particular wall is a party wall or not.

If the wall was one of these shared walls between two garages, then it's probably still a party wall now. But ownership, and repairing obligations is a separate matter

If shared ownership, that does not necessarily mean that the neighbour has to waterproof it for you, but having removed his roof and exposed your garage, then he may be responsible. But general maintenance could be a different matter, and may or may not be shared responsibility.

It's complex. Start by checking your deeds.

Sponsored Links
Yes it was a wall between 2 garages its just that my neighbour now expects me to maintain her side of that wall but i am sure its still classed a party wall but it is on the boundary and as its on the left of the property she now thinks its my wall so i have to maintain it. How do i maintain it if she won't give me access ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back