Anyone know about party walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Hoping someone can help with a party wall question. Essentially is it a party wall if the neighbors building is below where the beam meets the wall.

Were looking to remove a fireplace and knock through two rooms and need a beam as shown in red on the picture. Where the beam for the fireplace meets the exterior wall at the bottom of the plan is directly above a flat roofed extension from next door, the blue shaded area. It's an odd property boundary.
The photo is to try and show where it would be relative to next doors building.
Is this a party wall if the neighbors house is under it?
Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230323-143830~3.png
    Screenshot_20230323-143830~3.png
    223 KB · Views: 44
  • PXL_20230323_113455381~2.jpg
    PXL_20230323_113455381~2.jpg
    527.8 KB · Views: 48
  • PXL_20230323_113322172~2.jpg
    PXL_20230323_113322172~2.jpg
    493.6 KB · Views: 49
Sponsored Links
It depends where the boundary is? If your house existed before the neighbours (i.e. theirs was stuck up against yours) then the boundary runs up your outside face of your house wall and the area above their roof is yours and not party. If the houses were built at the same time, sharing a wall. then the whole of the wall could be party?

Ha yes there is that. I don't have a great understanding of party walls. Isnt the issue if they object later on or when you come to sell there can be issues?

Sponsored Links
It depends where the boundary is? If your house existed before the neighbours (i.e. theirs was stuck up against yours) then the boundary runs up your outside face of your house wall and the area above their roof is yours and not party. If the houses were built at the same time, sharing a wall. then the whole of the wall could be party?
Thanks. That's very helpful. My house was there first so hopefully not an issue.

Party wall surveyor is handy to get involved if you need rock solid advice etc..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back