Passive warm air ventilation through ceiling ducting into cooler rooms. Advice needed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We have a new build that relies on Solar PV for hot water and an Air Source Heat Pump for the underfloor heating downstairs.

The home is very, very warm downstairs but upstairs not quite so. The cooler rooms are given a burst of warmth using a fan heater to take the edge away.

I have been considering some type of installing passive ventilation through the ceiling into the rooms above to allow this warmer air to be introduced into the chosen rooms.

I wouldn’t need a forced ventilation as the house is airtight and natural air movement upwards would suffice as the house is very well insulated.

Is there a specific name for this ventilation and would anyone provide some helpful advice?

Thank you for reading this and hope to hear back.

Sponsored Links
What are the building regs regarding ducting to upstairs? The link above usefully gives the idea that it's important to have a return route back down for colder air.

I've been wondering about ducting that can be closed, to prevent sound, and potentially smoke and heat if there's a fire, from spreading upwards...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back