paste the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning All,

I have used paste the wall coverings twice before, both on emulsioned plaster, using Solvite paste the wall paste, the first time all went well but the next time I was unable to slide the paper into position. I am about to paper another room with the same type of paper & was wondering if it would be best to apply something on the wall first, perhaps PVA, to help it slide into position.

I would appreciate any advice.

Brian C.

Sponsored Links
Apply a watered down paste (usually around 25 percent more than usual) to the wall a few hours before pasting the wall (with the recommended amount of paste/water) ready to apply paper.

It'll take the suction out the wall enabling you to manoeuvre the paper better.

I still prefer the old school method of pasting the paper first which you can still do with the "paste the wall" paper but requires less soaking in time.

Hi CJRatch,
Thanks for the reply, sorry I didn't get straight back to you, It's always good to be able to have a second opinion. I quite agree that the old school method is still the best, as my family keep reminding me "you cant teach an old dog new tricks". Thanks again,
Brian C.

Sponsored Links
One big advantage of paste the wall papers is that you don't need to worry about over soaking the paper.

During the lockdown I pasted one wall of a WC with a pretty expensive paper. I recommended that the customer buy their expensive paste. The paste was nothing more complex than bog standard starch based powder in a Graham & Brown cardboard tube.

As CJRatch recommends, I hit the previously painted wall with coat of dilute paste and them another full fat coat shortly before hanging the paper.

It was a particularly difficult wall with lots of obstacles. Normal paper would have stretched. It was the first time I was glad to be using a nonstretch woven backed paper.

I will be less resistant to using them in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back