PVA or not...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
l've just stripped my living room walls ready for papering again and the walls are so dry, the paper l've just stripped off came off in sheets it was that easy. The house walls are concrete/stone with a skim of plaster but the walls seem so dry and the paste will just suck into the walls giving me no chance to slide the paper into position..
So would you recommend a coat of PVA on the walls first to seal it...

Sponsored Links
Stay well clear of PVA!!!! I also do not recommend the use of a glue size. All you need to do is to coat the walls with a thinned paste solution before you hang your wallpaper.

Dec.

Stay well clear of PVA!!!! I also do not recommend the use of a glue size. All you need to do is to coat the walls with a thinned paste solution before you hang your wallpaper.

Dec.
Any reason to stay clear of PVA and glue size...
l will do as you say and coat the walls with a thin paste solution, do l leave the paste to dry or can l put the wallpaper up straight away..

Sponsored Links
PVA applied under your wallpaper will pose no problem, yet it could if at a later date you decide to do away with the wallpaper and just emulsion your walls. The use of a glue size is often overated and even more often unwarranted. and they often produce a very nasty odour.

Your only need here would be to apply a thinned paste solution before you hang your paper, you can if you wish size each wall and hang your paper as you go. Yet it will be of no harm to leave it overnight.

I hope this advice offers the guidance you need, if not you no where we are.

Good luck

Dec.

Dec.
Any reason to stay clear of PVA and glue size...
l will do as you say and coat the walls with a thin paste solution, do l leave the paste to dry or can l put the wallpaper up straight away..

PVA , can cause a problem under wallpaper dependent on how it's mixed.
Yes, you can use paste for size, but, the reason I said use "glue siize" is, that's what it is, "size".

It's made for "sizing" walls, prior to papering the walls with paper, pasted with paste. Yes it smells but, I love it. :eek:

Real size- YUCK!!!

It is made out of bits of animals and stinks.

I roll the paper and then the section of wall whilst i wait for the paper to soak. I like the fact that the wall is still wet just in case the paper has dried too quickly.

To be honest I use the same paste from the bucket for the walls and paper, ie I don't dilute first. I know that I should dilute for the walls but I am too lazy and have never had any problems.

The only downside that I am aware of is that I use more paste but it costs very little so I don't care.

An advantage of letting the wll paste dry first is that if there are errant bits of grit in the paster (old horse hair type) then you will be able to knock them off before you paper over them. If yu do miss them then just tap the paper with a hammer to hide them

I routinely line walls rather than paint directly onto the plaster. Paint on plaster is fine until someone papers over it and you have to try to strip the paper without activating the paint and leaving a rough surface

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back