pat testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi.
could someone tell me what exactly pat testing involves?
what problems arise and would i be obliged to fix?
average duration of a rented property.

i run a property company looking after landlords places, floorplans, inventorys, gas checks etc so looking at doing pat as an extra string to the bow.

Sponsored Links
PAT is for portable appliances.. not properties..
and before all the other picky gits start, it's not PAT testing as the T in PAT stands for testing..
so it would be Portable Appliance Testing testing... ;)

do the course and it will tell you the interval of testing for domestic appliances in rented accomodation..

I have properties rented out and have PIR's done every year, I have found that the 'inspectors' are now doing PAT's on my tenants appliances too, claiming that anything that is plugged in when they do the PIR has to be included.
Right or wrong?
I'm not really bothered as it only seems to have added about 15% to the bill.

Sponsored Links
legally I belive you only have to ensure stuff you supply is safe not stuff owned by the tenants.

If your a landlord and rent out properties, you have no legal obligation to PAT test anything the tenant puts into the property. If however you supply a kettle, television, table lamp etc, these would require the appropriate test (just to cover your own back).
If inspectors doing the PIR tests are now PAT testing tenants own appliances, IMHO their just ripping you the landlord off.

Not sure about England but there is no requirement to even do PIR's on rented properties here, let alone PAT testing UNLESS the property is a HMO in which case it needs a recent PIR and PAT testing at least as frequently as re-licensing (3yrs at present).

Some letting agents insist on PIR's and it is obviously a prudent measure to cover yr a$$ etc. as well as PAT of yr own equipment but certainly not a requirement to do tenants' appliances. Ask your local council what they require in the way of I,T&C and instruct your inspector accordingly, anything extra is you covering your or the letting agent covering their rear.

'Anything plugged in' is nonsense because they would have to unplug everything anyway to do the PIR properly.

:rolleyes: beaten to it!

I believe you are all correct in that I do not have to do PAT as I have supplied no appliances and further I am convinced that there is no legal obligation for PIR's every year, however the mortgages vaguely insist on inspections and the insurance I have in place on the properties states an annual inspection and at around £200 per property for a PIR, including the PAT thats getting done, it is a great chunk of peace of mind for my tenants and me.

I sumbitted as an observation only, not as an enquiry or complaint but thanks guys for the comments

Hi,

The landlord does have a legal obligation to ensure all of the electrical systems that they provide in the property are safe to the best of their knowledge. This means both the wiring and the accessories. So both PAT and PIR should be done as they are recognised as a method of providing proof the landlord does have a regular regime of safety checks.
The time period is a mute point. In rented properties the PIR is between 3 and 5 years depending on the findings of the competent person carrying out the inspection and tests. If there are some low/on the limit readings the inspector could suggest a lesser interval.

A PAT in my opinion is even more important. Lets be frank people in rented accomodation or even more so in holiday lets do not treat the accessories well and i have no pangs of guilt stating all accessories should be PAT tested once a year minimum, whether they are CAT 1 2 OR 3 devices.

The cost of a PAT is relatively low, i tend to compare it with having a carpet cleaned about £70 on average for a 3 bedroom place. For rental companies where there are only a few white goods supplied with the property then about £30 per site.

An earlier post said about £200 for a PIR and PAT, for an unfurnished let that sounds reasonable.

Are you obliged to fix any problems, no but you are obliged to disable any failed items and inform the responsible person. However as a standard offering replacing incorrect fuses, retightening terminals and other minor repairs i personaly carry out and retest included in the charge if done whilst on site. You are also obliged to provide a report showing the results of the tests and inspections a fault register showing faults found and any action you took .

Some of the faults i find are shocking (no pun intended) and i would say 80-90 % are found on the formal visual inspection.

Get a good PAT testing machine not a cheap fail or pass type and you can really start to add value to your customers. For example i found that one clients entire new office extension had had the wiring put in with incorrect polarity.

Finally as the first response said, go and get the qualification it protects you and your clients.

Hi,

The landlord does have a legal obligation to ensure all of the electrical systems that they provide in the property are safe to the best of their knowledge. This means both the wiring and the accessories. So both PAT and PIR should be done as they are recognised as a method of providing proof the landlord does have a regular regime of safety checks.
The time period is a mute point. In rented properties the PIR is between 3 and 5 years depending on the findings of the competent person carrying out the inspection and tests. If there are some low/on the limit readings the inspector could suggest a lesser interval.

A PAT in my opinion is even more important. Lets be frank people in rented accomodation or even more so in holiday lets do not treat the accessories well and i have no pangs of guilt stating all accessories should be PAT tested once a year minimum, whether they are CAT 1 2 OR 3 devices.

The cost of a PAT is relatively low, i tend to compare it with having a carpet cleaned about £70 on average for a 3 bedroom place. For rental companies where there are only a few white goods supplied with the property then about £30 per site.

An earlier post said about £200 for a PIR and PAT, for an unfurnished let that sounds reasonable.

Are you obliged to fix any problems, no but you are obliged to disable any failed items and inform the responsible person. However as a standard offering replacing incorrect fuses, retightening terminals and other minor repairs i personaly carry out and retest included in the charge if done whilst on site. You are also obliged to provide a report showing the results of the tests and inspections a fault register showing faults found and any action you took .

Some of the faults i find are shocking (no pun intended) and i would say 80-90 % are found on the formal visual inspection.

Get a good PAT testing machine not a cheap fail or pass type and you can really start to add value to your customers. For example i found that one clients entire new office extension had had the wiring put in with incorrect polarity.

Finally as the first response said, go and get the qualification it protects you and your clients.

Wonderful post, as I said earlier the extra cost of testing my tenants goods is minor for peace of mind and PR it brings.

But,,, and here's the but.... If the only appliances in the rented house/ accommodation, belong to the tenant, then the landlord is not and cannot ever be held responsible for the safe condition of these.
As Sunray has stated, he has not supplied any appliances, then the company doing the PIR is ripping him off irrespective of the " LOW" cost of PAT testing.

But,,, and here's the but.... If the only appliances in the rented house/ accommodation, belong to the tenant, then the landlord is not and cannot ever be held responsible for the safe condition of these.
As Sunray has stated, he has not supplied any appliances, then the company doing the PIR is ripping him off irrespective of the " LOW" cost of PAT testing.

I totally agree but.. and heres my but. 4 years ago one of the 1 bed flats was inspected and it cost me £225 plus vodka and tonic, since then I have used a different company and this year the bill was £700 +VAT for three 1 bed flats and a 3 bed semi with 3 outbuildings, I don't think theyre taking the michael as I reckon that the first company's bill would have been a grand. I dare to say that the cost may probably be the same if I asked them not to do PAT.

Do you have new tennants every year? A PIR on a commercial property, such as yours, requires a PIR every fives years / change of tennent, although any inspections done between the first and fifth year could be visual ones which in theory should save you a small wedge each year.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back