Patching kitchen wall with gaps in bricks.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I am about to repaint the kitchen and noticed that a particular section of wall had flakey paint and soft white plaster beneath it. I removed this white (I guess finishing) plaster to discover that this had been applied as a patch directly to the brickwork and in fact over large some gaps in the bricks which had been filled with paper bags! It is in the area near where previous owners had relocated pvc door.

Pictures show what is left after white plaster and paper bags removed. Some of the brown plaster came off as well but what you see on pics is pretty secure.

I'd like to quickly repair this so that can start the repaint. (baby due soon)

Should I use mortar in the bricks, then patching then finishing plaster? If so what are the suggested drying times between each stage? And would I need PVA on the bricks before plastering?

Or is there another suggestion (besides using paper bags in the brickwork)

1st time on the forum so thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
dear oh dear, people do bodge jobs when fitting doors/windows, just cleanied up a RIGHT mess where the window company had been in and fitted a new bay and 'patched up' around it, was in a right state!

anyway, i digress :LOL:

personally i think i would fill the holes with render, then use hardwall straight onto the brickwork leaving a few mm for some finish plaster or easifill.

see what the other guys think though.

no need to PVA the bricks by the way

sprayfoam says it can be plastered over, filled some holes with it myself recently, but my plasterer boarded so not the same thing..

Just apply PVA tthen Hardwall to the whole area and when it goes off use your plastering trowel to hollow it out about a centimetre or so - then skim it with multi-finish.

Sponsored Links
Thank you all so far. So the hardwall and multifinish are a common view. Split vote on whether to us PVA though? And Joe, did you mean fill the gaps in bricks with hardwall as well?

many thanks

You don't need pva - just dampen the bricks before you apply.
If you have open bags of cement, sand and plaster, then use sand and cement to fill within 3mm of the surface, then plaster it the next day.
If you don't yet have any materials, you'll probably be inclined to get a small bag of ready mixed stuff. Probably still best to get sand and cement to do the main filling.

And one of the "easy plaster" products will be ok to do the surface.
Unless you're a dab hand, it'll be hard to end up with a good surface over the whole area, esp where it meets the existing finish.

But if you're careful, and use a sandable plaster and a big flat block to sand with, you should achieve an acceptable finish.

Good luck.

Point the holes with mortar first then do what you like regards render or dab. That brickwork looks both weak in mortar and in bond.

POINT IT.

And i would also remove the old sandy area at the top of the patch, just "scrape it" off with an old chisel/scraper,,,, don't hammer.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back