Patching old plaster work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently purchased a 1900 mid terrace property to renovate, mix of stone and brickwork.

There are areas of the house where the old lime plaster has blown and needs to be chipped away. Most of the walls are sound but there are cracks mainly where the stud work is between the bricks throughout.

My question is what is the best product/way to fill these areas in where it is unlikely to crack again.

I'm hoping to use a lime plaster to make sure the walls stay breathable, especially for the external walls
20171109_154736.jpg
20171125_140312.jpg
20171214_115628.jpg
20171125_140232.jpg
but don't know what type etc

Sponsored Links
open up all loose or cracked bits. paste some PVA on to take up suction.
a mix of 3 to 1 sand an lime or sand an cement will fill the gaps.in fact you could fill them with any kind of render or plaster.but lime render is traditional.

i can see the skim coat is coming away. youll have to remove any dodgy skim as well as removing loose background.
board finish can be used as a skim coat after 2 coat PVAing first.

is that a chimney breast with the wood corner piece?

ask the mods to move this post to the plastering forum

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back