patching/repairing cast iron soil stack.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a bit of an issue over the weekend with a blockage somewhere "downstream" of the toilet.

Noticed on saturday morning that there was a pool of water around the cast-iron soil stack - got the missus to flush the loo and water started squirting out of the join near the kitchen window, on closer inspection it looks like the sealant round the area has crumbled away.

20150307_170445.jpg

Called out a drainage company, the first guy tried to rod it from a manhole on our driveway - no help (turned out later it was the wrong manhole), so he called another van to jet the blockage.
When the second person arrived, he took off the grey patch on the soil stack (that looks to have been an access point that was cut in many years before) to stick the jet down.

The jetting unblocked the pipe, but he was unable to properly seal the hole in the stack, as it was square so a bung couldnt be used. - i taped it up with duct tape, and see this morning that the area is weeping water (yet to see if its still a blockage or not as was on my way out the house)

So i need to make a more suitable (and cheap) repair.. I was thinking of using flashing tape to wrap round and seal the access hole, but what should i look at using for sealing the join further up the stack.. some kind of putty?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If it's only leaking out of the top of the socket it will only happen when there's a blockage so I'd just put some silicone round it or plumbers mait.
I'd be more worried about the lower part and plan to cut out that section or the whole lot and replace with plastic to be safe
Cheers
Sam

It should only leak from the joint when there is a blockage.

Most lower down would just use the duct tape for a quick repair.

Possibly the bitumen backed roof repair aluminium foil might make a better repair if applied when totally dry and left long enough to set.

Its a bigger job that it looks to replace a section with plastic when its going into concrete.

Another labour intensive way is to cut out about 70mm and see if you can get a Fernco rubber joint over it and secure with jubilee clips.

A lot of bother though for very little benefit.

Tony

you could buy some denso tape of ebay about a £5.00 it is a water proof tape which you could wrap round soil pipe and paint it black

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back