Changing cast iron soil stack to PVC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. The cast iron soil stack from my WC is cracked in a number of places, and needs replacing with a PVC stack. I'm hoping someone may be able to answer a few questions:

1. The stack widens just before it disappears into the ground. Would you recommend cutting the stack before it widens and joining the PVC to the cast iron, or would you take the whole stack out and connect the new stack below ground level?

2. How would you suggest taking the existing stack down? Would you cut small sections off starting at the top?

3. I live in a terraced house built around 1900. Are there any building regulation issues with replacing cast iron with PVC?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
1)I would cut the existing stack before it enters the ground,much easier to join using rubber coupling.Cut CI with angle grinder with metal disc.

2)Take the CI stack down from the top downwards,be very careful its heavier than it looks,try and get a tower scaffold rather than working off a ladder.(last on i did the people got pukka scaffolding put up,but then they did want to work on the window frames as well)

3)Not that im aware of,make sure termination is in the proper place

Just a tip I learnt when connecting to the existing at low level, use two offset bends, as this can allow for some adjustment to allow the stack to stand further away from the wall or nearer the wall.

Thanks alot for the advice.

Just had a quote of £480 for replacing the stack (inc labour). The guy who came round suggested taking the whole stack out of the ground, putting a 'rodding eye' (?) into the ground and then connecting the PVC stack on top of that.

Could anyone say whether this sounds alright, and whether the price quoted is about right?

Thanks again for your help.

Sponsored Links
Thanks alot for the advice.

Just had a quote of £480 for replacing the stack (inc labour). The guy who came round suggested taking the whole stack out of the ground, putting a 'rodding eye' (?) into the ground and then connecting the PVC stack on top of that.

Could anyone say whether this sounds alright, and whether the price quoted is about right?

Thanks again for your help.

Does the quote include the rodding eye?

If so and the chap wants to do all that for £480 tell him to carry right on. Seems very reasonable.

Rodding eyes allow for easier access should the stack become 'clogged' :evil:

On a seperate note PVC looks awful IMO

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back