Patching Up Cracked/Flaked Paint in Hallway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have painted the walls in the hallway and, having used frog tape to enable the lines between the white/brown paint to be as straight/unbled as possible, the paint has torn/flaked off when pulling off the frog tape.

What's the best way to fix this, because simply painting back over the bits of paint that have flaked off are still going to leave a noticeable haphazard line between the existing paint on the wall and any new paint we put on.

Would using sandpaper to try and smooth the existing area around where the paint has flaked/cracked help?

Any other ideas?

Sponsored Links
It looks like the paint has been removed showing bare plaster. I take it that you did not apply a mist coat prior to your top coats? Best action here would be to remove all flaking paint, fill, sand then apply a mist over the filler. You will then be able to apply your top coats over this. You may have a problem with tape in the future as if you have not mist coated the plaster your paint will not have adhered too well to the plaster!

A fine surface filler would be a good idea here, something like this http://www.duluxdecoratorcentre.co.uk/servlet/ProductHandler?code=DDC10170&itemId=03729017

Good luck!

It looks like the paint has been removed showing bare plaster. I take it that you did not apply a mist coat prior to your top coats? Best action here would be to remove all flaking paint, fill, sand then apply a mist over the filler. You will then be able to apply your top coats over this. You may have a problem with tape in the future as if you have not mist coated the plaster your paint will not have adhered too well to the plaster!

A fine surface filler would be a good idea here, something like this http://www.duluxdecoratorcentre.co.uk/servlet/ProductHandler?code=DDC10170&itemId=03729017

Good luck!

Thanks. We did indeed not apply a mist coat, although the stairwell had previously been painted by the previous occupants/original builder so I'll lay the blame at them!!

So once I've removed all the bits of flaking paint, I'm going to be left with an uneven part of the wall, where the part that is painted is slightly more raised than the part that is showing the bare plaster.

What am I doing at that point? Applying the fine surface filler in your link to just the area of bare plaster, or also applying this to the painted area (but only maybe about an inch over the painted area) and then sanding to provide a smooth "singular" layer, then misting then top coat?

Will this ensure that where we're using the fine surface filler, then sanding, then misting, then applying a top coat, that the new top coat applied will be at a similar raised height from the plasterboard as the existing paint that is already applied is?

You just need to overfill the bare patch slightly. You can then sand this patch down so it is flush with the rest, mist it, then apply your top coats. A good idea is to use a sanding block. Do not overfill too much as this fine surface filler tends to dry really hard, so the less you apply, the less you have to sand back.

Sponsored Links
Either should be fine. The tube should go a long way if all your filling are these small shallow patches!

After looking at your provided links these seem to indicate ready mixed fillers, if so what you need is a powder filler, eg: One you mix yourself! Fill just proud of the existing paintwork and very lightly sand back until you achieve a uniform finish.

Use your fingers as a guide here, run them over both the painted areas and the prepared surface, if you feel any deformity between the two apply a little more filler and have another go. What you need here is uniformity between prep and paint, when you achieve this just dust off, mist, and apply your finish coats.

Dec

After looking at your provided links these seem to indicate ready mixed fillers,
Problem being?
if so what you need is a powder filler, eg: One you mix yourself!
Why is this essential? What is wrong with ready mixed fine surface fillers?
Fill just proud of the existing paintwork and very lightly sand back until you achieve a uniform finish.

Use your fingers as a guide here, run them over both the painted areas and the prepared surface, if you feel any deformity between the two apply a little more filler and have another go. What you need here is uniformity between prep and paint, when you achieve this just dust off, mist, and apply your finish coats.
Agree!

You really dont want me to explain that to you surely.

Dec

You're preference to a certain product does not mean that other peoples choices are wrong. I have used Polycell fine surface filler for years and it does what it is meant to do! The ease of using ready mixed for such a small amount out weighs mixing your own in my opinion!

P.S
I've PM'd you!

I am sure that you have, and I could tell you what to do with your pm, yet i'll bide my time.

Dec

After looking at your provided links these seem to indicate ready mixed fillers, if so what you need is a powder filler, eg: One you mix yourself! Fill just proud of the existing paintwork and very lightly sand back until you achieve a uniform finish.

Dec

When I'm doing this, do I not want the new prepped area to be slightly shallower than where I've painted, so that when I paint on this newly prepped area, the "height" of the mist/paint layer will bring that area back to the exact same "height" of the original painted area?

No, paint will not fill any hollow areas, the surface needs to be flush (uniform) then apply your mist coat feathering out the edges and when dry apply your finish coats.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back