Patching up messy light fitting hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(Picture attached is not the problem fitting as I've taped this up to stop dust and drafts coming into the bedroom from the hole - this was just to help show the type of hole I'm trying to fill, the actual hole is probably a couple of inches in diameter).

We were having some problems with a light and had an electrician round (who turned up at 10pm) who came downstairs proclaiming to have sorted it, neglecting to mention that he had brought down a large chunk of plaster and covered the bedroom in dust (inc old artex).

Now I have a working light but a hole to one side of it where we can feel a draft from the loft above. I'm looking at the best way of repairing and found this patch kit on amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HVJ1...=1006948&hvtargid=pla-311648518281&th=1&psc=1

which I understand that I cut an appropriately sized hole in it for the light fitting and then plaster over.

I'm just wondering if this is the best way to go about it?

Secondly, given that there is artex of unknown composition - in order to be cautious, is there anything that I can spray/paint around the hole to 're-seal' the material which was skimmed over before we bought the house.

My other query is - is there anything that seals a light fitting - if you have a cold loft above is this likely to create a draft?

as always - any advice hugely appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20180909_164934938.jpg
    IMG_20180909_164934938.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 172
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back