Patchy lawn not growing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
B48C4654-9609-4FD7-A581-303B48988CDE.jpeg
Hi everyone I have a patchy lawn some areas have grass and some areas don’t seem to be growing to well, I have used miracle grow 4in 1 but not much improvement any advice or am I doing something wrong, any advice would be great thank you

Sponsored Links
Some of the patches are to be expected because the 4 in 1 is killing the moss and weeds and making the existing grass healthier but what it wont do is replace dead grass with new grass.

If you keep using it then over time the lawn would self seed though this would take a while. I would throw some grass seed down to speed the process up, google 'over seeding' or you can simply throw it down and hope for the best.

Any brown areas should be raked out before sowing new grass. This will give you bald patches, (in the grass not on your head), and you should hoe the surface of these areas to help the seeds embed and germinate. Water well each day but don't overdo it.
Don't expect miracles in a short time. All gardening is a test of patience and faith. It can't be rushed, despite what you see on the TV.

Sponsored Links
you can simply throw it down and hope for the best.
And watch the birds eat it all.

Mojo - look into pre-germinating grass seed, it will grow quicker and birds are less likely to take it. But netting still advised. Keeps the cats off as well.

Given the size of the area and its overall condition Id be tempted to kill it all off, remove the dead thatch, break up and condition the soil (maybe get the pH tested), and start again. It will take longer, be more work, and cost more, but the end result will be better than youll ever achieve by oversowing what is there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back