Patchy paintwork.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
My wife decided that our hallway and stairway needed a repainting. Things being how they are at the moment I can’t really afford to get a decorator in so did it myself.
They are white and were originally painted with Johnson’s Trade White - Brilliant White. So I have repainted them with the same paint using a decent roller.
But they are so patchy. Looking face on they seem fine but at different angles and when the sun shines on them they look really patchy.

I read online that patchiness is usually because they haven’t had enough coats so I have given them 4 coats in total but it has made no difference.

I didn’t use any undercoat or primer, I just painted on top of the paint that was there.

What am I doing wrong please and what can I do to fix it?

Would sanding the walls and starting again help?

Thank you all in advance.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Did you clean the walls first?
Maybe a good clean and then a primer/sealer would be good and then emulsion?

Thank you.
I have it a quick wipe over but not a proper clean. I’ve just sanded it all back to get rid of all the holes which has worked.

So you reckon a good clean and primer? Or sealer? Which one would be better?

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back