Patio & Damp Proof Course

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I bought my house 2 years ago and have finally gotten round to trying to sort out the back garden. The previous owner has built a kitchen extension that juts out from the middle of the rear of the house, leaving difficult to use spaces at either side. One one side there is just a concrete floor area that I want to lay flags & gravel on to make it more attractive, but in reading up on this I keep coming across the need to have the patio 150mm below the DPC. On closer inspection it seems that the existing concrete base is only 10mm below the DPC if anything - there are no signs of rising damp in the walls, but I dont want to bridge the DPC, neither do I want to take up the concrete.

Is there a way I can protect the DPC by adding something on the vertical face between the wall and gravel, maybe a liquid damp proofing solution, or a roll of DPC applied vertically?

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
150mm is specified to avoid damp penetration due to rain splash & as for laying gravel above the DPC, as stated your likely to give yourself no end of problems with damp; my advice is take up the concrete & do it properly.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back