Patio door closes, latches, but won't lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a patio door that is giving me bother. I can close the door, and latch it, but the it won't lock - the lock doesn't turn fully. When the door is open, if I put my finger on the 'button' of the lock (the little button that has to be pressed to allow the door to be locked) I can lock it perfectly ok, but when it's against the frame and closed, it won't work. If I couldn't latch it either, I would understand it being out of alignment (it looks maybe a quarter of an inch out at the moment), but I don't understand how I can latch it (push the paddle up) but can't lock it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's driving me bonkers, and I'd prefer to fix it myself just for pride's sake if nothing else, rather than call a locksmith.

(Sorry that the images are sideways!)
This image shows the button I'm talking about, just in line with the bottom of the handles.

This image shows the hooks in the lock.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the door needs lifting on the lock end. There should be a posi screw that you can just about see on the wheels under the door. Turn the screw to lift the door (normally clockwise).

As Gazman said, the door needs lifting up on the handle side.....there isn't enough clearance when the hooks slot into the keep on the frame. The little lever must go all the way down for you to turn the key. Open the door 10mm from the frame, is it parallel? Hopefully the top will be closer to the frame than at the bottom. Is so lift the handle side of the door by using a long pozi screwdriver
Job done hopefully

Mark the screw setting so you can return to it if necessary. You may not need it but it costs nothing to do.

Sponsored Links
I had exactly the same problem,the patio door wouldn't lock when closed but the lock would work when open.

Anyhow,the opposite patio door has a small silver plate with a screw above and below which the faulty door lock fits in.The plate had come loose and just needed to be pulled out to where its supposed to sit and the screws tightened.

The small silver plate is directly opposite the door handle of the faulty door.

i was dreading calling out a locksmith and glad i took a bit of time to re examine the problem.

it took me all of 30 seconds to fix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back