Patio Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to extend the existing patio on the back of my house by using decking. The patio is brick built, flagged and about 700mm above ground level to meet the patio doors. It is about 3m wide and 3m long with steps down to the main garden area.

There is an existing fence along the patio that separates the next doors garden. I have tried to upload a photo but unable to do it :(

Do I need planning permission to extend the patio by another 3m at the same height?

Sponsored Links
No one has replied so my tip would be either do it and hope no one complains, or apply for a lawful development certificate from the council.
I suspect you would technically need planning permission as it's a separate development from the existing patio and more than 300mm from the ground level. If you removed the existing patio you could go the full 6m out, as long as it doesn't cover half the area around the house.

Sounds like you would need PP, was the patio existing when the house was built? A photo would really help. Do not just do it and hope nobody complains, terrible advice.

Sponsored Links
patio.jpg

Hi, yes the patio was already there when I bought the house 8 years ago. Here is a photo of the existing patio. it is no where near 50% of the garden after extension. I want to extend it to where the fence post is to the left of the tree. [about 2m]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back