Patio price help please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like a rough guide to the cost of supply and fitting of a patio in the west Yorkshire region, i have a rough idea what i require but not sure on a fair quote.
Indian paving: £19+ vat m2
33m2 Indian paving
Reduce dig/lift old flags ..Only 18 m2 to remove and very loose
Weed barrier
4/5 tonne of crush stone
3 tonne of sand
Edgings for perimeter
Ballast
Skip
2mens labour
Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Get all your own materials on site so saving on that cost. Look to pay a full weeks wage for two men. This should take 5 days minimum, maybe 6. So 2 guys on roughly £200-220 per day for both of them. So say £1000 to £1300 for labour.

Flags want to be bought on eBay and delivered to site. A 20sqm pack is about £300. If near leeds get sand and base delivered from mones quarry in north leeds. They are miles cheaper than builder merchant. Only use sharp sand in your base mix. Don't use dot and dab technique, lay out the screed for the whole area of each slab. Proper job !

Skip £180
Flags £300
sand £60 delivered
base £80 delivered.

Cement £70
brick edging £ 100 for brick.

bld sand for pointing/laying brick £30

So £1800 - £2100 approx.

I am doing the same job in leeds for myself mid sep. Bricks were free from gumtree for my edging. Paving was £140 for 18sqm (indian 50% and smooth sandstone 50%). Both off gumtree.

Skip will be £180, maybe less if i need only a midi.

Don't need much hardcore as a proper screed of sharp sand and cement is fine for foot traffic only. So i think i will need 2 1/2 T sharp sand and about 15 bags cement, plus 1/2 T bld sand.

So £55 for sand and £70 cement

So my paving will be around £440-500. But my labour is free obviously.

Read paving expert to make sure the job is done correctly: http://www.pavingexpert.com/home.htm

Get all your own materials on site so saving on that cost. Look to pay a full weeks wage for two men. This should take 5 days minimum, maybe 6. So 2 guys on roughly £200-220 per day for both of them. So say £1000 to £1300 for labour.

Flags want to be bought on eBay and delivered to site. A 20sqm pack is about £300. If near leeds get sand and base delivered from mones quarry in north leeds. They are miles cheaper than builder merchant. Only use sharp sand in your base mix. Don't use dot and dab technique, lay out the screed for the whole area of each slab. Proper job !

Skip £180
Flags £300
sand £60 delivered
base £80 delivered.

Cement £70
brick edging £ 100 for brick.

bld sand for pointing/laying brick £30

So £1800 - £2100 approx.

I am doing the same job in leeds for myself mid sep. Bricks were free from gumtree for my edging. Paving was £140 for 18sqm (indian 50% and smooth sandstone 50%). Both off gumtree.

Skip will be £180, maybe less if i need only a midi.

Don't need much hardcore as a proper screed of sharp sand and cement is fine for foot traffic only. So i think i will need 2 1/2 T sharp sand and about 15 bags cement, plus 1/2 T bld sand.

So £55 for sand and £70 cement

So my paving will be around £440-500. But my labour is free obviously.

Read paving expert to make sure the job is done correctly: http://www.pavingexpert.com/home.htm

Ok, just got a quote for £2500 for 33m2 to be paved with Indian sandstone calibrated but the guy says he mixes building sand and cement to lay flags on a wet bed and bear in mind I can supply the cement powder for nothing so all he will have to do is mix the two, interestingly enough though is I thought you mixed sharp sand and cement and not building sand? What do you think?

Yes only use sharp sand as it is stronger than building. Don't do for the spot method as this is easier to do, but you don't get as good a job. You want a full screed bed below the paving. Read the paving expert website i linked to to show you how to do a proper job. Lots of builders do the 4 corner and 1 centre spot method, but it isn't as good as a full screed under the whole slab.

Solid bedded.

Jointed using the bedding mortar.

Point as you go.

I'll post some piccies of our current jobby in the a.m.

Last edited:
Last edited:
That looks a top job. How come you need to use a Hcore base if you are also screeding fully with a sharp sand mix. I would have thought a screed base would be enough for foot traffic.

What do you seal the patio with ?

How come you need to use a Hcore base if you are also screeding fully with a sharp sand mix. I would have thought a screed base would be enough for foot traffic.
It's better to have a granular sub-base even if you think you don't need it.
You can shape it according to falls.
It will accept a certain amount of rainwater and not leave you with a muddy shoithole.
It will help draw the moisture from your joints and bedding and allowing you to get on the slabs and point the same day.
What do you seal the patio with ?
There is a product at our local BM that I'm looking at using. I'll keep you informed. I've never laid this type of slab before.

That looks a top job.
Thanks, I do pride myself in my slabbing. I set the walls out so that they just work in slabs + joints. Looks better for it too. I used moderate falls because the slabs are so precise and not riven. I even worked out the gully position so it fell on a slab joint. Ill finish around the chambers on Monday and complete the steps up to the lawn.

Ok, just got a quote for £2500 for 33m2 to be paved with Indian sandstone calibrated but the guy says he mixes building sand and cement to lay flags on a wet bed and bear in mind I can supply the cement powder for nothing so all he will have to do is mix the two, interestingly enough though is I thought you mixed sharp sand and cement and not building sand? What do you think?

My landscape gang of preference lay the flags on a wet mortar mix of 3-1 building sand, buttering & jointing as they go. This gives a much stronger joint that won't crack, crumble or 'blow out' at the first sign of frost.

This has always worked on the odd job I've done myself. You get the levels right with the sub base & lay onto wet mortar just like with bricks. The flags 'tap' down nice n easy & the joints are fully consolidated, not 20mm X 10mm strips waiting to fail the first winter.

You won't get 2x landscapers to agree on which method is best.

Sponsored Links
Back