Patterned wallpaper.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I will be starting a room tomorrow starting with the feature wall. I know to do a plumb line and start in the middle of the wall etc but what is the best way for the first drop? Do I cut the paper down to what it says on the manufacturers label? For example my first drop do I measure say 30cm and slice it off then get that straight and apply the next drop? Or should I just pop it up matching my plumb line then cut off and match the next drop?

Sponsored Links
The first drop depends on the pattern, You dont want half a flower cut off at ceiling level.
I would measure the main wall to the middle, take the middle of the wallpaper measure out i.e wall 8 feet, middle line is 4 feet, measure out from that half the width of the paper and apply first drop to second line so when you get to either end you have the matching pattern and no central line.
have two rolls of paper on the go, match second drop from second roll, third drop from first roll etc, saves waste on paper.
cut Paste first drop, cut out second drop and paste, first drop should be soaked enough to hang, cut and paste third drop etc.
Depending on thickness of paper I sometimes have two drops soaking.

Last edited:
The first drop depends on the pattern, You dont want half a flower cut off at ceiling level.
I would measure the main wall to the middle, take the middle of the wallpaper measure out i.e wall 8 feet, middle line is 4 feet, measure out from that half the width of the paper and apply first drop to second line so when you get to either end you have the matching pattern and no central line.
have two rolls of paper on the go, match second drop from second roll, third drop from first roll etc, saves waste on paper.

Thank you mate I will try that one out. Very good advise too to save on paper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back