Wallpapering - newbie question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going to decorate my bedroom in the middle of next week and decided to wallpaper one wall - a feature wall.

I see a list of things I need here:

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/static/help-and-advice/how-to-guides/how-to-hang-wallpaper

Question 1) should I hang lining paper first over the painted wall? It's in fairly good condition, no big lumps or bumps that I can see. Is it worth it?

Question 2) I don't get how you use a plumb line. I see it drops down and you can see if the paper is level, but surely you just line one piece up against the corner, then the next piece up against that one so the pattern matches?

Question 3) What paste is best?

I'm not going around any windows or doors, just one big plain wall. Any other advice or things I should be aware of?

Sponsored Links
Going to decorate my bedroom in the middle of next week and decided to wallpaper one wall - a feature wall.

I see a list of things I need here:

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/static/help-and-advice/how-to-guides/how-to-hang-wallpaper

Question 1) should I hang lining paper first over the painted wall? It's in fairly good condition, no big lumps or bumps that I can see. Is it worth it?

Question 2) I don't get how you use a plumb line. I see it drops down and you can see if the paper is level, but surely you just line one piece up against the corner, then the next piece up against that one so the pattern matches?

Question 3) What paste is best?

I'm not going around any windows or doors, just one big plain wall. Any other advice or things I should be aware of?

1. Yes, it is always worth it, but it is essential to crossline with lining paper - don't hang it vertically or you are setting yourself up for failure later.

2. Don't start in the corner - work out how many widths you'll need on the wall which you see first when entering the room. then work from the middle of the wall outwards so the wall is papered symmetrically, with the two end pieces the same width as each other. The plumb line is used to line the edge of the first drop, then you match the others up to that. Don't assume the corners are vertical as often they are not, even in new homes.

3. Depends on the type of paper. It usually says on the roll, or check on the internet. Try to avoid Laura Ashley paste if at all possible - it's useless. A ready mix such as Solvite is a good all purpose one for most papers, but check the label/with the manufacturer.

Important! Use the SAME paste for the lining paper as you do for the top paper.

It may not be worthwhile lining first. If the walls are flat, it may prove time consuming for you, and as a newbie, you probably want this to be a simple job without doubling the work.

On the other hand, if you were to line first, you could consider it a bit of practice.

It is ESSENTIAL to use a plumbline or even a spirit level to hang the first length of paper. As mentioned, you cannot rely on the corner of the room being dead straight. You need a dead vertical line to go by, as it makes all the other lengths easy to hang. You wouldn't want the joins to be anything other than vertical, would you? And most importantly, you wouldn't want the pattern on the paper, if there is one, running downhill or uphill.

Be sure not to get paste on the surface of the paper. If you do, and it's vinyl, remove as soon as you can with warm water.

Thanks for your advice. On iPhone ATM so hard to reply.

But just a quick question - with lining paper:

1) just confirm I hang this but it goes horizontally. Then the proper wallpaper goes vertically? I guess this is to help it stay up?

2) what's the benefits if my wall is in good condition? Just help it last longer?

3) can you hang pictures on a feature wall or would it just ruin the wallpaper?

4) my dad put paste on the paper when I saw him do it. However I read someone mention pasting the wall instead? Maybe I should do both?

Sponsored Links
1. Crosslining the lining paper counteracts the vertical tension in the top paper and makes the joins/seams in the top paper much less likely to come apart.

2.No, but wallpaper is designed to be applied to a flat, smooth surface, not a lumpy irregular one. It looks more professional when crosslined.

3. The whole idea of a 'feature wall' is that it is interesting to the eye as it is. To add additional pictures would probably over-egg the pudding and spoil the effect.

4. Pasting the wall is only appropriate for wallpapers labelled 'paste the wall'. It is easier and quicker, but if the paper you have bought says paste the paper, you must do that (and leave it to 'book', or soak in,) for the right number of minutes. Consult the label and follow the instructions carefully.

Don't try to hang the top paper too soon after the lining. Allow at least 24 hours in between.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back