paving brick border - dry mix concrete or hardcore/sand?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I've had a look using the search function for this in the garden section but can't find anything that fits - so i hope someone out there can help :)

I'm planning to put a paving stone border in to separate the flower beds and grass. Having received some interesting quotes for the job I figured this might be one I might do myself to keep costs down.

I'm planning to use a trencher which digs up to a foot deep and 4 inches wide. The paving brick I'm using has a width of 3 1/2 inches. I plan to use a spade, if needed, to make the trench a little wider.

The ground I'm working with is heavy clay - hence the trencher, otherwise it'd take me a month.

My question is this - can I get away with using 2" compacted hardcore (compacted with a board and hammer) and 2" sand or would using dry mix concrete be the best way?

I'm a bit of a concrete mixing novice :) so would prefer option number 1, but I'm worried about the hardcore/sand moving in the clay soil after a year or two and then having to redo the thing again.

I'd appreciate any advice at all :)

Sponsored Links
Lay them on 3 inches of semi dry leanmix concrete as you would a small kerb.

thanks for the replies - as regards the drymix, the webiste which was linked to suggests a 6:1 mix.

Is it possible to dig a trench for the mowing strip (4" deep, 4"wide), pour the sand in, then pour the cement in on top, mix it in the trench, then water it down, then put the bricks on top?

I'm not trying to be lazy or avoid using a cement mixer, just thinking about doing it the easiest way of forming up the mix.

edit - I've just watched some concrete mixing videos and I think the cement mixer is the way to go

Sponsored Links
you must mix it. you also add some water. if the mix is too wet it makes it turn to soup when you tap your blocks down into it. if its too dry it won't harden properly.

It should be the consistancy that when you squeeze a ball of it in your hand it doesn't ooze water but when you release it it should stay in a ball and not crumble apart.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back