Paving / Drainage problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I've recently had my front drive paved. It's a steep slope. In one patch, after rainfall, it gets very discoloured and mucky looking. Almost like the ground underneath is waterlogged and the water is rising up.

What can I do to fix it? House and pipes underneath have been tested. No leaks at all. So I'm guessing there's inadequate drainage on the slope. The garden landscaper should have maybe dealt with it? But how do I fix it?

The 2nd pic shows my new slabs in the back garden. Almost straight away they've got discolouration. Any ideas why and how I can fix it?

Many thanks in advance.
http://i.imgur.com/7nbaxSMh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0sUSF1qh.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If your sure that nothing has been spilt on it (rust can leave bad staining like this) the driveway looks like there is muddy water pumping up through the sub base as the drive is loaded by a car driving on it.

This could be cause by inadequate sub base or perhaps mixing of the sub base (hardcore) and sub grade (earth/clay)

Is your sub soil clay and what was the driveway make up? i.e. depth and type of sub base etc.

Was the weather very wet when the job was being done?

As for the flags its not a great photo, a photo of the wider area would be good but it does look like limestone or sandstone that has been treated with acid?

What are the flags? and have they been treated with anything? patio cleaners etc?

Maybe you have a soakaway that isn't working - do you know where your rainwater goes ?

Sponsored Links
thanks for the replies guys. the landscaper is coming back to have a look at it - I think the flags are being replaced - rust from oxidsation and the front drive maybe just waterlogged. he's taking another look. many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back