Paving slab base for my small shed. Any tips please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

After the very helpful advice in my previous post (thanks for that), I'm back looking for a few more general pointers before I get out there and get my hands dirty.....

The shed in question is 4' x 6' with a lean-to. The base/floor has pressure treated bearers. Here's a link:

http://www.buyshedsdirect.co.uk/gar...rlap-pressure-treated-inc-lean-to-wooden-shed

And here are some pics of the site where the shed will be situated. It's going to go where the sleepers are in this one:

Gravel cleared:

Close up of the ground. It's very compacted as the car used to be parked there:

I've got six 2'x2' slabs which should measure pretty much exactly the same as the base. They are really heavy duty and 2" thick:

I'm happy with the slabs being higher than the surrounding gravel as I think it will be better for drainage.

OK, so here are my questions...

1. Should I dig further down in the area before putting in the sand/cement or go for it as is? The ground is very compacted and it almost seems counter productive to loosen it by digging.....

2. As per the suggestions in my previous post, I'm going to use a mix of sand/cement. Could someone confirm whether this should be a dry mix or whether I should be adding water to the mix?

3. Is sharp sand ok? Some sites say yes, others say to use builder's sand.

4. Should I aim for completely level or very slightly sloping from front to back (so when water gets on the slabs it runs off)?

Excuse all the questions but this is the first time I've ever done it and I want to get it right. Help with the above and any other tips you can offer would be fantastic.

Huge thanks

Max

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back