Paving slabs - is concrete under a problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've been renovating my garden, which has been left unkempt for at least a year before I bought the house, so the paving which covers the whole garden was in very poor condition - uneven, with weeds coming through, loose stones etc.
I took them all up the other day, with the intention of relaying the same stones (they are large stone slabs, like the ones you find on the pavements around Sheffield, so I wanted to preserve them and reuse them, rather than get modern ones). Some of the paving stones are in poor condition, most of them have lost one or more of their corners, so not sure how to re-lay them.
After I took them up I found a layer of concrete and bricks, solidly covering most of the area. I want to level the area so it is suitable for garden table and chairs. There was sand over the top of it already, should I leave the concrete there? or take it up? Or put more concrete down when I level it?
Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back